Benign Fibro-Osseous Lesions of the Head and Neck
Benign fibro-osseous lesions (BFOLs) are a particularly challenging set of diagnoses for the pathologist. This diverse collection of diseases includes fibrous dysplasia, ossifying fibroma and cemento-osseous dysplasia. While all three conditions have similar microscopic presentations, their treatment and prognosis differ, demanding an accurate and definitive diagnosis. A practical and systematic approach considering the patient’s history, demographics, intraoperative presentation, and gross appearance with an emphasis on radiology and histology will be discussed.
KeywordsBenign fibro-osseous lesion Fibrous dysplasia Ossifying fibroma Cemento-osseous dysplasia Radiology Intraoperative Histology Demographics
This study has no funding.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Brenda L. Nelson declares that she has no conflict of interest. Billy J. Philips declares that he has no conflict of interest.
Research Involving Human Participants and/or Animals
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 8.Pereira DL, Pires FR, Lopes MA, Carlos R, Wright JM, Patel P, van Heerden W, Uys A, Vargas PA. Clinical, demographic, and radiographic analysis of 82 patients affected by florid osseous dysplasia: an international collaborative study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016;122(2):250–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Mofty E. WHO classification of head and neck tumours. 4th ed., vol. 9. Lyon: IARC; 2017. p. 251–5.Google Scholar
- 11.White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral radiology principles and interpretation. 7th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2014. p. 402–426.Google Scholar
- 13.Jacomacci WP, Veloso Perdigão JP, Veltrini VC, Farah GJ, Tolentino ES, Vessoni Iwaki LC, Iwaki Filho L. Associated aneurysmal bone cyst and cemento-osseous dysplasia: a case report and review of the literature. Gen Dent. 2017;65(1):28–32.Google Scholar
- 14.Fernandes DT, Pereira DL, Santos-Silva AR, Vargas PA, Lopes MA. Florid osseous dysplasia associated with multiple simple bone cysts: a patient with 22 years of follow-up. Gen Dent. 2016;64(2):21–5.Google Scholar
- 17.Aiuto R, Gucciardino F, Rapetti R, Siervo S, Bianch AE. Management of symptomatic florid cemento-osseous dysplasia: literature review and a case report. J Clin Exp Dent. 2018;10(3):e291–5.Google Scholar
- 19.Liu JJ, Thompson LD, Janisiewicz AM, Shibuya TY, Keschner DB, Garg R, Lee JT. Ossifying fibroma of the maxilla and sinonasal tract: case series. Allergy Rhinol(Providence). 2017;8(1):32–6.Google Scholar
- 28.Unal Erzurumlu Z, Celenk P, Bulut E, Barıs YS. ct imaging of craniofacial fibrous dysplasia. Case Rep Dent. 2015;2015:134123.Google Scholar