T-Cell/Histiocyte-Rich Large B-Cell Lymphoma: Report of the First Case in the Mandible
T-cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphoma (THRBCL) is an uncommon subtype of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It is a predominant nodal neoplasm; however, extranodal sites, such as the spleen, liver and bone marrow, can be involved at diagnosis. However, only one case of primary THRLBCL in the jaws have been reported. We herein describe a 29-year-old female patient who presented with a swelling of the right mandible that had grown rapidly over the previous 2 months. Periapical and panoramic radiographs showed a multilocular osteolytic lesion located in the mandibular periapical region of the canine and premolar teeth and molar region. Preoperative examination and incisional biopsy were performed. Immunohistochemistry was applied to confirm the diagnosis of THRBCL in the jaw. The treatment consisted of CHOP therapy and radiotherapy. After complete tumor remission following initial treatment, additional sites of the disease appeared in the lung, abdomen and long bones. The patient died within 2 months. THRLBCL is an uncommon and aggressive malignant neoplasm that can involve the jaws, mimicking a periapical disease.
KeywordsJaw Lymphoma Non-hodgkin Lymphoma Large B-cell Diffuse Periapical diseases
The first author declares no funding grants were received or otherwise associated with the production of this paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All authors named in this case report declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Research Involving Human and Animal Participants
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 3.Ferry JA, Li XO. Haematolymphoid tumours. In: El-Naggar AK, Chan J, Takata T, Grandis J, Blootweg P, editors. World health classification of head and neck tumours. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2017. pp. 128–9.Google Scholar
- 8.Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H et al, editors. WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2017.Google Scholar
- 13.Pereira DL, Fernandes DT, Santos-Silva AR, Vargas PA, Almeida OP, Lopes MA. Intraosseous non-Hodgkin lymphoma mimicking a periapical lesion. J Endod. 2015;41:1738–42.Google Scholar
- 18.Carbone M, Della Ferrera F, Carbone L, Gatti G, Carrozzo M. Numb chin syndrome as first symptom of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Case Rep Dent. 2014;41:3162–5.Google Scholar
- 19.Venizelos ID, Tatsiou ZA, Mandala E. Primary cutaneous T-cell-rich B-cell lymphoma: a case report and literature review. Acta Dermat. 2008;17:177–81.Google Scholar
- 20.Cornillie J, Tousseyn T, Verhoef G. T-cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphoma: review on pathologic diagnosis, current therapeutic options and new targets for therapy. Belg J Hematol. 2012;3:128–33.Google Scholar
- 24.Barut F, Kandemir NO, Gun BD, Ozdamar SO. T-cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphoma of stomach. J Park Med Assoc. 2016;66:905–7.Google Scholar
- 33.Kini R, Saha A, Naik V. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of mandible: a case report. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2009;14:e421–4.Google Scholar