Dr. Andrew Huvos (1934–2006) Retrospective: A Tribute to the Pathologist and the Man
Andrew G. Huvos was born in communist Budapest, Hungary, in March of 1934. At twenty-four he immigrated to New York City, working as a cytotechnologist at Delafield Hospital. Dr. Huvos attended the University of Gottingen Medical School in Germany, where he was awarded his MD degree. He completed a 1-year internship at New York Hospital, going on to Residency at Delafield Hospital and Fellowship at Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Huvos ascended through the ranks to Attending Pathologist and Member at Memorial Hospital for Cancer and Allied diseases, at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York City. Concurrently, he was appointed to Weill Medical College of Cornell University, where he was Professor of Pathology for over two decades. Dr. Huvos was an editorial referee for over half a dozen highly esteemed publications, including the New England Journal of Medicine and Cancer. He trained over a thousand oncological surgical pathology fellows, head and neck fellows, and surgeons. Dr. Huvos spent nearly 40 years at MSKCC and his career was accompanied by his authorship of 388 peer-reviewed publications and eighteen book chapters. His legacy leaves behind a generation of pathologists who have greatly benefited from his tutelage.
KeywordsAndrew Huvos Andrew G. Huvos Bone pathology Head and neck pathology Salivary gland tumors
Special thanks to Mr. Kin Kong, Ms. Donna Bauer and Dr. Marc Rosenblum. Also, many thanks to Ms. Jennifer McGillan, Archivist, Archives & Special Collections Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library Columbia University Medical Center.
- 1.Huvos AG. Tumores Oseos: Diagnostico, Tratamiento y Prognosis. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Editorial Medica Panamericana; 1981. (Spanish Language Edition).Google Scholar
- 2.Huvos AG. Bone tumors: diagnosis, treatment and prognosis. 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company; 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Huvos AG. Bone tumors: diagnosis, treatment and prognosis. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company; 1991.Google Scholar