An Outcome Evaluation of a Substance Abuse Program for Probationers: Findings from a Quasi-Experimental Design
The current study provides an evaluation of a substance abuse treatment program for probationers in a county in the state of Texas. Relying on a quasi-experimental design with a propensity score matched sample of 69 treatment group subjects and 69 control group subjects, the results revealed that while a significant treatment effect was observed for program participants in terms of a reduction in recidivism, a significant treatment effect on the percentage of people failing drug tests or the rate of failed drug tests was not detected. Study limitations and implications are also discussed.
KeywordsProbation Recidivism Substance abuse Treatment Propensity score matching
- Austin, P. C. (2009). Some methods of propensity-score matching had superior performance to others: Results of an empirical investigation and Monte Carlo simulations. Biomedical Journal, 51, 171–184.Google Scholar
- Carson, E. A., & Anderson, E. (2016). Prisoners in 2015: Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics. Washington, DC: Bureau of Justice Statistics.Google Scholar
- Disbury, K. L., Kopak, A. M., Dean, L. V., Moyes, H. C. A., Breedvelt, J. J. F., Thibaut, B. I., Cole, C. R. F., & Heath, J. J. (2015). Pre- to posttreatment differences in measures of risk of relapse and reoffending for participants of RAPt’s 6-weeks programs. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation, 54, 556–584.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ho, D. E., Imai, K., King, G., & Stuart, E. A. (2011). Matchit: Nonparametric preprocessing for parametric causal inference. Journal of Statistical Software, (8), 1–28.Google Scholar
- James, D. J. (2004). Profile of jail inmates (p. 2002). Washington, DC: Bureau of Justice Statistics.Google Scholar
- Jennings, W.G., & Hudak, E. (2014). “Police response to the mentally ill.” In R. G. Dunham &. G. P. Alpert (eds.), Critical issues in policing: Contemporary readings (6th edition) (pp. 109–126). Prospect Heights: Waveland Press.Google Scholar
- Jennings, W. G., Richards, T., Smith, M. D., Bjerregaard, B., & Fogel, S. (2014). A critical examination of the “White victim effect” and death penalty decision-making from a propensity score matching approach: The North Carolina experience. Journal of Criminal Justice, 42, 384–398.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marlowe, D. B. (2010). Research update on adult drug courts. Washington, DC: National Association of Drug Court Professionals.Google Scholar
- Mauer, M., & King, R. (2007). A 25-Year Quagmire: The War on Drugs and its Impact on American Society. Washington, DC: The Sentencing Project.Google Scholar
- Minton, T. D., & Zeng, Z. (2016). Jail Inmates in 2015. Washington, DC: Bureau of Justice Statistics.Google Scholar
- Taxman, F. S., & Belenko, S. (2011). Implementing evidence-based practices in community corrections and addiction treatment. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- United States Census Bureau (2018). Quick facts: McLennan County, Texas. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/mclennancountytexas. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.