Enteric fever is an important public-health problem in India. The clinical presentation of typhoid fever is very variable, ranging from fever with little other morbidities to marked toxemia and associated multisystem complications. Fever is present in majority of patients (>90 %) irrespective of their age group. Mortality is higher in younger children. Blood culture remains gold standard for diagnosis. Widal test has low sensitivity and specificity but may be used in second week to support the diagnosis. Emerging resistance to several antibiotics should be kept in mind when selecting antibiotics or revising the treatment. The key preventive strategies are safe water, safe food, personal hygiene, and appropriate sanitation. Vaccination is an additional effective tool for prevention.
KeywordsTyphoid fever Multidrug resistance
PK: Concept, manuscript review and revision; RK: Manuscript preparation. PK will act as guarantor for the paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Source of Funding
- 6.Xia S, Hendriksen RS, Xie Z, et al. Molecular characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility of salmonella from infections in humans in Henan province, China. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:401–9.Google Scholar
- 8.Ganesh R, Janakiraman L, Vasanthi T, Sathiyasekeran M. Profile of typhoid fever in children from a tertiary care hospital in Chennai-South India. Indian J Pediatr. 2010;77:1089–90.Google Scholar
- 18.Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response Vaccines and Biologicals. Background document: The diagnosis, treatment and prevention of typhoid fever. World Health Organization, 2003.Google Scholar
- 20.Lu-Fong M, Ludan AC, Martinez MM, Raymundo JG. Dot EIA (Typhidot): an aid to the diagnosis of typhoid fever among Filipino children. Malays J Child Health. 1999;8:163.Google Scholar
- 22.Kundu R, Ganguly N, Ghosh TK, Yewal VN, Shah RC, Shah NK; IAP task force report. Management of enteric fever in children. Indian Pediatr. 2006;43:884–7.Google Scholar
- 24.Bula-Rudas FJ, Rathore MH, Maraqa NF. Salmonella infections in childhood. Adv Pediatr. 2015;62:29–58.Google Scholar