Quality Improvement in Neonatal Care — A New Paradigm for Developing Countries
- 352 Downloads
Infrastructure for facility-based neonatal care has rapidly grown in India over last few years. Experience from developed countries indicates that different health facilities have varying clinical outcomes despite accounting for differences in illness severity of admitted neonates and random variation. Variation in quality of care provided at different neonatal units may account for variable clinical outcomes. Monitoring quality of care, comparing outcomes across different centers and conducting collaborative quality improvement projects can improve outcome of neonates in health facilities. Top priority should be given to establishing quality monitoring and improvement procedures at special care neonatal units and neonatal intensive care units of the country. This article presents an overview of methods of quality improvement. Literature reports of successful collaborative quality improvement projects in neonatal health are also reviewed.
KeywordsNeonate Quality improvement Network
DC and GKS: Conducted literature search; DC: Wrote the first draft and will act as guarantor for this paper. Final manuscript version was approved by both the authors.
Conflict of Interest
Role of Funding Source
- 4.Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the quality chasm : A new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.Lohr K. Committee to design a strategy for quality review and assurance in medicare. Medicare: A Strategy for Quality Assurance, Vol. 1. Washington: The National Academies Press; 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.Donabedian A. Explorations in quality assessment and monitoring. Vol 1. The definition of quality and approaches to its assessment. Ann Arbor: Health Administration Press; 1980.Google Scholar
- 14.Report 1995: National Neonatal Perinatal Database Network. National neonatal perinatal database network. New Delhi: National Neonatology Forum of India; 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.Report 2000: National Neonatal Perinatal Database Network. National neonatal perinatal database network. New Delhi: National Neonatology Forum of India; 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.Report 2002–2003: National Neonatal Perinatal Database Network. National neonatal perinatal database network. New Delhi: National Neonatology Forum of India; 2004.Google Scholar
- 18.Langley GJ. The Improvement Guide : A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance. 2nd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2009.Google Scholar
- 21.Birenbaum HJ, Dentry A, Cirelli J, Helou S, Pane MA, Starr K, et al. Reduction in the incidence of chronic lung disease in very low birth weight infants: Results of a quality improvement process in a tertiary level neonatal intensive care unit. Pediatrics. 2009;123:44–50.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar