Idiopathic Hypereosinophilic Syndrome in Children: 3 Cases with Review of Literature
- First Online:
- 519 Downloads
To highlight the varied clinical manifestations and management of idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome, a rare disorder in children.
Retrospective review of case records of 3 patients who were diagnosed to have idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome (IHES) in a tertiary referral centre between 1997 and 2010 was performed. These 3 children presented with different symptoms and the first case had cardiac involvement. All had very high absolute eosinophil count (cells/mm3) 43,206, 9,082, 2,925, respectively. Diagnosis was confirmed by bone marrow biopsy in all three cases and supported by liver biopsy in the first two cases and inguinal lymphnode biopsy in the last case. All 3 children responded to treatment with steroids, with only second patient requiring hydroxyurea to control disease.
Case 1 and 2 are on follow up for 13 y and 10 y respectively and both are asymptomatic. Case 3 expired due to sepsis 1 mo after diagnosis.
Treatment with steroids with or without hydroxyurea gave good response in all 3 cases. Hence, they still remain the gold standard for the treatment of IHES in children.
KeywordsIdiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome Children Steroids
- 4.Boyce JA, Owen WF. Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. In: Kaplan AP, ed. Allergy. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1997. pp. 861–75.Google Scholar
- 6.Salm CM, Clair NE, Lustig JV, Samyn MM. Cardiac manifestations from non-FIP1L1-PDGFRα-associated hypereosinophilic syndrome in a 13-year-old African American boy. J Allergy (Cairo). 2009;2009:804910.Google Scholar
- 8.Pérez PJ, Gomez Papí A, Tarrés Roure A, Llorente Cabrera A. Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome in a 6-year-old child. An Esp Pediatr. 1990;33:69–70.Google Scholar
- 10.FauciAS HJB, Roberts WC, Ferrans VJ, Gralnick HR, Bjornson BH. NIH Conference. The idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome: Clinical, pathophysiologic and therapeutic considerations. Ann Int Med. 1982;97:78–92.Google Scholar
- 20.Lefebvre C, Bletry O, Degoulet P, et al. Prognostic factors of hypereosinophilic syndrome. Study of 40 cases. Ann Med Interne (Paris). 1989;140:253–7.Google Scholar