The Clinical Treatment of Childhood Obesity
- 983 Downloads
With the rising prevalence of childhood obesity, pediatricians are increasingly called upon to treat clinically overweight children. The primary treatment options are behavioral lifestyle modification, pharmacotherapy, and surgery. The cornerstone of childhood obesity treatment is lifestyle modification and has been shown to be effective in improving the severity of overweight and obesity. Several guidelines discuss appropriate methods for lifestyle modification in overweight and obese children. This review will summarize three recent guidelines/recommendations (released by the Scottish Intercollegiate Network, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the United Kingdom National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) and describe by way of example, a current child obesity treatment program in the United States (Duke University Medical Center). Finally, evidence for pharmacologic and surgical treatment options will also be discussed, which can be valuable treatment options for select patients.
KeywordsOverweight Childhood obesity Treatment Lifestyle
- 5.National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Obesity: the prevention, identification, assessment and management of overweight and obesity in adults and children. London 2006.http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG43/Guidance/Section. Accessed 06 Oct 2011.
- 6.Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Management of Obesity: A national clinical guideline. Edinburgh 2010.http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign115.pdf. Accessed 06 Oct 2011.
- 9.Australian National Health and Medical Research Council. Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents. Canberra 2003.http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/obesityguidelines-guidelines-children.htm. Accessed 06 Oct 2011.
- 10.Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: preparing people for change. 2nd ed. New York: Guilford Press; 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Pollack A. Abott Labs Withdraws Meridia From the Market. The New York Times. 2010 October 8;Sect. B3.http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/09/health/09drug.html. Acccessed 06 Oct 2011.