Clinical report on transarterial neoadjuvant chemotherapy of malignant fibrous histiocytoma in soft tissue
- 145 Downloads
To review the experience in transarterial neoadjuvant chemotherapy of malignant fibrous histiocytoma (MFH) in soft tissue and to analyze the factors related to prognosis of MFH in soft tissue.
Between September 1999 and December 2011, 101 cases of MFH in soft tissue patients treated by transarterial administration of Cisplatin, Adriamycin and Norcantharidin were divided into primary group and recurrent group, and the clinical documents were reviewed. Nine factors that might affect prognosis such as age, sex, tumor size, tumor site, tumor infiltration depth, recurrence if any, pathological type, histologic grade and histologic response of chemotherapy were analyzed statistically.
The 5-year relapse-free survival rate and the overall survival rate were 70.5 and 75.0 %, respectively, in the primary group; 56.1 and 57.9 %, respectively, in the recurrent group. Univariate analysis (log-rank test) showed that the factors affecting the prognosis were age (P = 0.03), tumor size (P = 0.01), pelvic tumor (P = 0.02), recurrence if any (P = 0.004), histologic grade (P = 0.01), and histologic response to chemotherapy (P = 0.007). Multivariate analysis showed that the major factors affecting prognosis were pelvic tumor (P = 0.01), tumor size (P = 0.002), histologic grade (P = 0.002), recurrence if any (P = 0.0004), and histologic response to chemotherapy (P = 0.008).
Transarterial neoadjuvant chemotherapy can significantly increase the curative efficacy of chemotherapy and survival rate in MFH treatment.
KeywordsMalignant fibrous histiocytoma Soft tissue Transarterial neoadjuvant chemotherapy Prognosis
- 2.Fletcher CDM, Unni KK, Mertens F (eds) (2002) Pathology and genetics of tumours of soft tissues and bone. World Health Organization classification of tumors. IARC Press, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Enzinger FM, Weiss SW (2001) Soft tissue tumors, 4th edn. Mosby, St. LouisGoogle Scholar
- 5.Rosen G, Caparros B, Huvos AG, Kosloff C, Nirenberg A, Cacavio A, Marcove RC, Lane JM, Mehta B, Urban C (1982) Preoperative chemotherapy for osteogenic sarcoma: selection of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy based on the response of the primary tumor to preoperative chemotherapy. Cancer 49:1221–1230PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lehnhardt M, Daigeler A, Homann HH, Schwaiberger V, Goertz O, Kuhnen C, Steinau HU (2009) MFH revisited: outcome after surgical treatment of undifferentiated pleomorphic or not otherwise specified (NOS) sarcomas of the extremities—an analysis of 140 patients. Langenbecks Arch Surg 394:313–320PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Guang-xue LI, Wei GUO (2011) Analysis of therapeutic strategies and prognostic factors of malignant fibrous histiocytoma of soft tissue. Chin J Surg 49(11):974–977Google Scholar
- 15.Bacci G, Springfield D, Capanna R, Picci P, Bertoni F, Campanacci M (1985) Adjuvant chemotherapy for malignant fibrous histiocytoma in the femur and tibia. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 67:620–625Google Scholar
- 17.Nooij MA, Whelan J, Bramwell VH, Taminiau AT, Cannon S, Hogendoorn PC, Pringle J, Uscinska BM, Weeden S, Kirkpatrick A, Glabbeke M, European Osteosarcoma Intergroup (2005) Doxorubicin and cisplatin chemotherapy in high-grade spindle cell sarcomas of the bone, other than osteosarcoma or malignant fibrous histiocytoma: a European Osteosarcoma Intergroup Study. Eur J Cancer 41(2):225–230PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Bramwell VH, Steward WP, Nooij M, Whelan J, Craft AW, Grimer RJ, Taminau AH, Cannon SR, Malcolm AJ, Hogendoorn PC, Uscinska B, Kirkpatrick AL, Machin D, Van Glabbeke MM (1999) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin and cisplatin in malignant fibrous histiocytoma of bone: a European Osteosarcoma Intergroup study. J Clin Oncol 17(10):3260–3269PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Bacci G, Ruggieri P, Picci P, Mercuri M, Ferraro A, Tella G, Ferrari S, Bertoni F, Comandone A (1996) Intra-arterial versus intravenous cisplatinum (in addition to systemic Adriamycin and high dose methotrexate) in the neoadjuvant treatment of osteosarcoma of the extremities. results of a randomized study. J Chemother 8(1):70–81PubMedGoogle Scholar