SEOM clinical guidelines for the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer
Colorectal cancer is the first cause of cancer diagnosis in Spain. Over half of the patients are diagnosed with or will eventually develop distant metastasis. The current manuscript aims to provide synthetic practical guidelines for the therapeutic approaches in advanced disease. Available systemic therapeutic options, and integration and sequencing of chemotherapy with surgical procedures are discussed. Extent of disease, treatment objective, tumor kras mutation status, as well as patient’s functional and comorbid conditions shall be considered to properly design the most adequate therapeutic strategy.
KeywordsColorectal cancer Practice guidelines Chemotherapy Surgery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Rothenberg ML, Oza AM, Bigelow RH et al (2003) Superiority of oxaliplatin and fluorouracilleucovorin compared with either therapy alone in patients with progressive colorectal cancer after irinotecan and fluorouracil-leucovorin: interim results of a phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 21:2059–2069CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Seymour MT, Maughan TS, Ledermann JA et al; FOCUS Trial Investigators; National Cancer Research Institute Colorectal Clinical Studies Group (2007) Different strategies of sequential and combination chemotherapy for patients with poor prognosis advanced colorectal cancer (MRC FOCUS): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 14;370(9582):143–152CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Falcone A, Ricci S, Brunetti I et al (2007) Phase III trial of infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) compared with infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: the Gruppo Oncologico Nord Ovest. J Clin Oncol 25:1670–1676CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Douillard JY, Siena S, Cassidy J, et al (2010) Randomized, Phase III Trial of Panitumumab With Infusional Fluorouracil, Leucovorin, and Oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4) Versus FOLFOX4 Alone As First-Line Treatment in Patients With Previously Untreated Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: The PRIME Study. J Clin Oncol 4. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID:20921465Google Scholar
- 21.Peeters M, Price TJ, Cervantes A, et al (2010) Randomized Phase III Study of Panitumumab With Fluorouracil, Leucovorin, and Irinotecan (FOLFIRI) Compared With FOLFIRI Alone As Second-Line Treatment in Patients With Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. J Clin Oncol 4. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20921462.Google Scholar
- 22.Giantonio BJ, Catalano PJ, Meropol NJ et al (2007) Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFOX4) for previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer: results from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study E3200. J Clin Oncol 25:1539–1544CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Esquivel J, Sticca R, Sugarbaker P et al (2007) Cytorreducive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of peritoneal surface malignancies of colonic origin: a consensus statement. Society of Surgical Oncology. Ann Surg Oncol 14:128–133Google Scholar