Fusarium tricinctum, An Endophytic Fungus Exhibits Cell Growth Inhibition and Antioxidant Activity
- 337 Downloads
An endophytic fungus (strain T6) isolated from Taxus baccata was studied for its effect on the growth of human breast cancer cell line (MCF-7), human cervical cancer cell line (HeLa) and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) as well as for its antioxidant activity. Based on morphological characters and internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequence analysis, this fungus (strain T6) was identified as Fusarium tricinctum. This fungus has shown inhibition in the growth of the MCF-7 and HeLa cancer cell lines. IC50 values of the fungal extract were 225 ± 26 and 220 ± 18 μg ml−1 for MCF-7 and HeLa cell lines, respectively. Further, F. tricinctum showed inhibition in the proliferation of concanavalin A stimulated PBMCs indicating its immunosuppressive potential (IC50 value 110 ± 44 μg ml−1). Tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-α production in concanavalin A stimulated PBMCs and MCF-7 were found to be inhibited which indicates that the antiproliferative effect may be associated with TNF-α. Free radical scavenging results revealed that this fungus also exhibited antioxidant activity (IC50 value 482 ± 9 μg ml−1). Present study results suggested that F. tricinctum has the potential to be used for therapeutic purposes because of its antiproliferative and antioxidant potential.
KeywordsTaxus baccata Cancer cell lines Tumor necrosis factor-α Antioxidant
We would like to acknowledge to Dr. Rimpreet Singh Walia from Lifeline blood centre, Patiala for providing blood sample from a healthy volunteer.
- 13.Zhao K, Zhao L, Jin Y, Wei H, Ping W, Zhou D (2008) Isolation of a taxol-producing endophytic fungus and inhibiting effect of the fungus metabolites on HeLa cell. Mycosystema 27:e744Google Scholar
- 14.Barnett HL, Hunter BB (1998) Illustrated genera of imperfect fungi, 4th edn. APS Press, St. PaulGoogle Scholar
- 16.White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide to methods and application. Academic, San Diego, pp 315–322Google Scholar
- 19.Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- 23.Zhan J, Burns AM, Liu MX, Faeth SH, Gunatilaka AL (2007) Search for cell motility and angiogenesis inhibitors with potential anticancer activity: beauvericin and other constituents of two endophytic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. J Nat Prod 70:227–232. doi: 10.1021/np060394t CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 29.Harper JK, Arif AM, Ford EJ, Strobel GA, Porco JA, Tomer DP, Oneill KL, Heider EM, Grant DM (2003) Pestacin: a 1,3-dihydro isobenzofuran from Pestalotiopsis microspora possessing antioxidant and antimycotic activities. Tetrahedron 59:2471–2476. doi: 10.1016/S0040-4020(03)00255-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar