Spatial deployment of gene-for-gene resistance governs evolution and spread of pathogen populations
- 247 Downloads
We formulate a spatially realistic population-genetic model for ascertaining the synergetic effect between genetic and spatial composition of the host population on the pathogen spread reinforced by evolutionary processes. We show that spatial arrangement of host genotypes is crucial to the efficacy of host genetic diversification. In particular, the reductive effect of multigenic resistance on the pathogen density can be produced by a random patterning of monogenic resistances. Random patterns can reduce both density and genetic diversity of the pathogen population and delay invasion promoted by sexual recombination. By contrast, patchy distributions diversify pathogen population and, hence, reduce the efficacy of resistance genes. The proposed approach provides theoretical support for studying fast emergence and spread of novel pathogen genotypes carrying multiple virulence genes. It has a practical applicability to design innovative strategies for the most appropriate deployment of plant resistance genes.
KeywordsReaction–diffusion Spatial heterogeneity Spatial spread Recombination Gene-for-gene resistance
We thank the three anonymous reviewers for detailed comments and useful suggestions that have greatly improved the manuscript. We thank Christian Jost, Jean-Pierre Paulin and James Dat for valuable comments on the manuscript. The research is supported by ‘Région Pays de la Loire’ and SPE Department of INRA.
- Murray JD (1993) Mathematical Biology, 3rd edn. Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Okubo A, Levin SA (2002) Diffusion and ecological problems: Modern perspectives, 2nd edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Press WH, Teukolsky SA, Vetterling WT, Flannery BP (1992) Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Shigesada N, Kawasaki K (1997) Biological invasions: Theory and practice. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Svirezhev Y, Passekov VP (1990) Fundamentals of Mathematical Evolutionary Genetics. Kluwer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar