Spontaneous Expulsion of an Unusual Sharp Metallic Foreign Body: A Rare Occurrence
Foreign body aspiration (FBA) represents a life-threatening emergency especially in children. Sharp metallic foreign bodies are of particular concern to the attending clinician, because of their potentiality to perforate the air way passages and hence causing complications. Spontaneous expulsion of airway foreign body is very rare; can be disastrous at times. Emergency retrieval is mandatory. We are reporting a rare and unusual case of sharp metallic FBA in a 12 year old boy.
KeywordsForeign body bronchus Bronchoscopy Metallic foreign body
Authors would like to thank the Director, pediatric surgical colleagues, pediatric anesthetists, OT staffs, Radiologists of IGICH, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The author declare that she has no conflict of interest.
- 2.Aihole JS, Babu MN (2015) Spontaneous migration of airway foreign body to the gastrointestinal tract. Indian Pediatr 52:534–535Google Scholar
- 3.Gupta IS, Sood VP (1967) Foreign body in the air passage (spontaneous expulsion). Indian J Otolaryngol 19:173–176Google Scholar
- 4.Mital OP, Prasad R, Singhal SK, Malika A, Singh PN (1979) Spontaneous expulsion of a long standing endobronchial metallic foreign body. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 21:45–47Google Scholar
- 5.Ryndin VD, Octavio F (1986) Two cases of spontaneous expulsion of aspirated needles from the lungs. Grud Serdechnososudistaia Khir 6:90–91Google Scholar
- 6.Hadi MA, Al-Telmesani LM (1997) Spontaneous expulsion of intrabronchial metallic foreign body: a case report. J Family Community Med 4:77–79Google Scholar
- 7.Gupta SK, Mundra RK, Goyal A (2004) Spontaneous expulsion of an interesting long standing metallic foreign body (iron nail) from left main bronchus. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 56:233–234Google Scholar
- 8.Jaiswal AA, Garg AK (2014) Spontaneous expulsion of foreign body (seewing machine needle) from right middle lobe bronchus—a rare case report. J Clin Diagn Res 8:KD01-2–KD01-5Google Scholar
- 9.Tabook SMS, Tawab HMA (2016) Spontaneous expulsion of inhaled foreign body: one ingested and two out. IJSS Case Rep Rev 2:14–16Google Scholar