Quality of Life in Head and Neck Cancer Patients
- 44 Downloads
To assess the quality of life in head and neck cancer patients and the various factors which affect the quality of life in head and neck cancer patients was the main aim of the study. A prospective longitudinal study with a sample size of 130 patients was done within the time period of one and a half years. Patients with biopsy proven squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck were treated as per their treatment protocol either by combined modality or single modality. Follow up at the completion of treatment was done and the quality of life questionnaire was filled out. QoL was assessed pre-treatment and at 4 times at different stages of follow up period. Demographic data was also taken into consideration for comparison which showed that head and neck cancer is more common in the males (80%) between the age group of 35–50 years, chronic tobacco chewers (45%) with most common site of cancer being the oral cavity (61%). Majority of the patients presented at Stage IV of their disease (35%) with largest HRQoL changes seen within the first three months after commencement of treatment. The most debilitating modality of treatment was Surgery + CTRT. Detailed assessment of the various factors which hamper the QoL in head and neck cancer patients should be done by which we can provide quality care and a completely new view into the health care experience and improving patient satisfaction.
KeywordsQuality of life Head and neck cancer Squamous cell carcinoma
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Gotay CC (1996) Trial-related quality of life: using quality-of-life assessment to distinguish among cancer therapies. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 20:1–16Google Scholar
- 6.Global Burden of Disease Cancer Collaboration, Fitzmaurice C, Allen C et al (2017) Global, Regional, and National Cancer Incidence, mortality, years of life lost, years lived with disability, and disability-adjusted life-years for 32 Cancer Groups, 1990 to 2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. JAMA Oncol 3:524CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.D’Souza PJJ et al (2013) Quality of life of head and neck cancer patients receiving cancer specific treatments. JKIMSU 2(1):51–57Google Scholar
- 16.Lo PSY et al (2004) Quality of life measurement in patients undergoin radiation therapy for head and neck cancer: a Hong Kong experience. J Oncol Manag 13(23):1–9Google Scholar
- 19.Barrios R, Glacia Medina B, Tsasakos G et al (2015) Oral and general health related quality of life in patients treated for oral cancer compared to control group. Health Qual Life Outcomes 13(9):1–8Google Scholar