Complications of Paediatric Cochlear Implantation in the Population of Uttarakhand
Cochlear implants surgery is now routinely done at this center. Complications which have been experienced in cochlear implant surgery at our center are discussed, as a detailed knowledge about the complications and their early anticipation can save an expensive device and most importantly patients morbidity. To discuss the complications of the paediatric cochlear implantation in the population of Uttarakhand. The total of 60 patients were included in this study (age group 1–5 years) who had undergone the cochlear implantation surgery between Sept. 2015 and Sept. 2016. These patients were regularly monitored and followed up for 1 year. All the surgeries were performed by same team of surgeons. Rate of minor complications is 8.33% (reversible facial nerve paresis, injury to chorda tympani nerve, local skin reaction, perilymph gussher) and major complications is 5% (implant rejection and flap necrosis). The various complications should be closely monitored by the surgeon so that these can be avoided.
KeywordsCochlear implant Complications Posterior tympanotomy
There are no financial interests the authors may have in companies or other entities that have an interest in the information in the Contribution (e.g., grants, advisory boards, employment, consultancies, contracts, honoraria, royalties, expert testimony, partnerships, or stock ownership in medically related fields). The authors have no financial interest.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
- 1.Luxford W, Brackmann D (1985) The history of cochlear implants. In: Gray R (ed) Cochlear implants, vol 10. College Hill Press, San Diego, pp 1100–1106Google Scholar
- 2.NUCLEUS®, Sistema de Implante Coclear; Manual do Cirurgião 2000Google Scholar
- 7.Orhan KS, Guldiken Y, Basaran B, Ulusan M, Polat B, Celik M, Deger K (2012) Complications and their management following pediatric cochlear implantations. J Int Adv Otol 8(2):244–252Google Scholar
- 8.Gurbuz MK, Incesulu A, Adapinar B, Erdinc M, Kecik C (2011) Recurrent meningitis due to non-implanted ear in cochlear implant patient with bilateral inner ear abnormality: a case report. Int Adv Otol 7:257–262Google Scholar
- 17.Hashemi B, Bayat A, Kazemei T (2010) Surgical complications of cochlear implantation. Iran J Med Sci 35:53–56Google Scholar
- 18.Shiras S, Vaid N, Vaid S, Kothadiya A (2018) Surgical complications and their management in cochlear implantees less than 5 years of age: the KEMH Pune experience. Interdiscip J 19(2):67–71Google Scholar