Serum Adenosine Deaminase Levels and Human Papillomavirus as Prognostic and Predictive Factors for Laryngeal and Pharyngeal Carcinomas
- 30 Downloads
Head and neck cancer is one of the most common cancers in the world, accounting for up to 30–40% malignancies in India. Research is always on the lookout for parameters that help in early diagnosis of such disease and to explore the possibility of discovering such parameters that would assist in management of the disease by its potential to predict and prognosticate the disease. To estimate serum ADA levels and to correlate with response to therapy and also to correlate between different clinical stages and serum ADA levels and to correlate HPV status to response to therapy. A prospective cohort study. 30 patients who were diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx, hypopharynx and larynx were considered in this study. The pre and post treatment values of serum ADA was estimated in these patients and the tumour was assessed for HPV status. The difference in the in the serum ADA levels before and after treatment was 9.982 which was statistically significant with a p value of < 0.001. HPV positive status and response to therapy in the form of recurrence shows a p value of 0.485 which is not statistically significant. Serum ADA level can be used as a parameter to assess the severity of the disease and the response to treatment in cases of carcinoma of the oropharynx, hypopharynx and larynx. HPV status of the disease has its limitation in prediction and prognosis of the disease.
KeywordsSquamous cell carcinoma Oropharynx Hypopharynx Larynx Serum ADA HPV
We sincerely thank all the individuals who have supported us for the study. We thank Mr. Pradeep B K (Biocon) for scientific assistance.
- 2.Kapil U, Singh P, Bahadur S, Dwivedi SN, Singh R, Shukla N (2005) Assement of risk factors in laryngeal cancer in India: a case control study. Asia Pac J Cancer Prev 6(2):202–207Google Scholar
- 5.Satyanarayan U (2001) Biochemistry. Calcutta Books and Allied (P) Ltd., CalcuttaGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hovi T, Smyth JF, Allison AC, Williams SC (1976) Role of ADA in lymphocyte proliferation. Clin Exp Immunol 1276:395–403Google Scholar
- 12.David GP, Sharon S, David M (eds) et al (2015) National comprehensive cancer network (NCCN) Guidelines version 1.2015 head and neck cancersGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rosner B (2000) Fundamentals of biostatistics, 5th edn. Duxbury, pp 80–240Google Scholar
- 19.Ashok KJ, Pinto GJO, Kavitha AK, Palathra MJ (2008) The diagnostic and prognostic value of serum adenosine deaminase levels in head and neck cancer. J Clin Diagn Res 3:833–837Google Scholar
- 22.Metgudmath RB, Sharma S, Desai PB (2013) Role of purine metabolic enzymes and vitamin A in patients with oral cancer. Int J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2:31–37Google Scholar