A Case of Myoepithelioma of the Nasal Cavity
- 19 Downloads
Myoepithelioma is a rare tumour of the salivary glands. Only 3 cases of myoepithelioma in the nasal cavity have been reported. A 29 year old male presented to us with epistaxis and nasal obstruction. There was a fleshy mass occupying the right middle meatus. Biopsy showed evidence of myoepithelioma and an endoscopic excision of the tumour was done. Histopathological examination of the resected tumour was consistent with myoepithelioma. Due to its rarity, the nature of the tumour is not known and regular follow-ups are needed for early detection of recurrence and malignancy.
KeywordsMyoepithelioma Nasal cavity Salivary gland Endoscopic surgery
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
D Ramesh declares that he has no conflict of interest. GC Khong declares that she has no conflict of interest. V Sumathi declares that she has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 5.Som PN, Breinwend-Gensler MN (2011) Anatomy and pathology of salivary glands. In: Som PM, Curtin HD (eds) Head and neck imaging [e-book], 5th edn, St. Louis, Mosby [cited 2013 Oct 23]. Available from: InklingGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sayed SI, Kazi RA, Jagade MV, Palav RS, Shinde VV, Pawar PV (2008) A rare myoepithelioma of the sinonasal cavity: case report[internet]. Cases J [cited 2013 Nov 11]; 1:29 [approx 3p.]. Available from: Biomed CentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Sperandio FF, Giudice FS, Pinto-Junior DS, de Sousa SC (2011) Myoepithelioma of soft palate: a case report giving special attention to the differential diagnosis[internet]. J Oral Maxillofac Res [cited 2014 Jan 1]; 2:1 [approx 5p.]. Available from: PubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ferri E, Pavon I, Armato E, Cavaleri S, Capuzzo P, Ianniello F (2006) Myoepithelioma of minor salivary gland of the cheek: a case report. Acta Otolaryngol Ital 26:43–46Google Scholar
- 10.Mills SE (eds) (2009) Sternbergs’s diagnostic surgical pathology (chap. 20), 5th edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, p 2520Google Scholar