External vs. internal osteotomy in rhinoplasty
- 112 Downloads
The aim of study is to compare the external osteotomy vs. internal osteotomy in patients undergoing rhinoplasty.
The study group comprised of 45 patients that had undergone rhinoplasty surgery. The 25 patients had undergone internal / endonasal continuous lateral osteotomy and 20 patients had undergone external / percutaneous perforating digital osteotomy. The internal osteotomy was done high to low to high using 4 mm. curved guarded osteotome. The external osteotomy was done by 2 mm sharp osteotome. The scoring system of Kara and Gokalan was followed for edema and ecchymosis.
External osteotomy is an easy approach to carryout and makes fracture with high precision along preset lines. The bone stump is stable. The damage to the nasal mucosa is much less. There is reduced bleeding, reduced edema and reduced ecchymosis around eyes. The cutaneous scar at the entry site of osteotome is invisible.
KeywordsLateral osteotomy internal / endonasal osteotomy percutaneous perforating digital osteotomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Denecke HJ, Meyer R. Plastic Surgery of the Head and Neck: Corrective and reconstructive Rhinoplasty. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1967 (cross reference)Google Scholar
- 9.Rohrich RJ, Janis JE, Adams WP, Krueger JK. An update on the lateral nasal osteotomy in rhinoplasty; an anatomic endoscopic comparison of the external versus the internal approach. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2003;2461–2462Google Scholar
- 10.Giacomarra V, Russolo M, Arnez ZM, Tirelli G: External osteotomy in Rhinoplasty, The laryngoscope. 2001;433–438Google Scholar
- 11.Kara CO, Kara IG, Tpuz B. Does creating a subperiosteal tunnel influence periorbital edema and ecchymosis in rhinoplasty? J oral Maxillofacial surgery 2005;1088–1090Google Scholar
- 12.Gryskiewicz JM, Gryskiewicz KM. Nasal osteotomies: a clinical comparison of the perforating methods versus the continuous technique. Plast Reconstructive Surgery. 2002;1445–1456Google Scholar