A review on energy efficiency and demand response with focus on small and medium data centers
- 80 Downloads
Data centers are the backbone of a growing number of activities in modern economies. However, the large increase of digital content, big data, e-commerce, and Internet traffic is also making data centers one of the fastest-growing users of electricity. The total energy consumption of data centers corresponded to almost 1.5% of the global electricity consumption and has an approximated annual growth rate of 4.3%. Therefore, it is very important to increase the energy efficiency in data centers with actions such as power usage management, server consolidation, energy-efficient components and systems, as well as demand response programs and renewable energy sources. Small and medium data centers account for more than 50% of the total electricity consumption in this sector. In fact, surveys indicate that this data center profile waste more energy than larger facilities. Nevertheless, existing studies tend to be focused on the energy-related issues for large data centers rather than small and medium data centers. Therefore, through a meticulous state-of-the-art literature review of data centers energy efficiency and demand response perspectives, this paper aims to present how an intensive energy consumer, such as small and medium data centers, can become more efficient from the energy point of view and how they can take advantage of demand response programs to decrease costs and to cooperate with the grid to ensure higher reliability and sustainable development goals.
KeywordsData centers Information and communication technologies Energy efficiency Demand response
The present work was supported by CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior – Brazil).
- Ahmad, R. W., Gani, A., Hamid, S. H. A., Shiraz, M., Yousafzai, A., & Xia, F. (2015). A survey on virtual machine migration and server consolidation frameworks for cloud data centers. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, pp., 52, 11–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2015.02.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ahn, J. H., Jouppi, N. P., Kozyrakis, C., Leverich, J., & Schreiber, R. S. (2009). Future scaling of processor-memory interfaces. In Proceedings of the Conference on High Performance Computing Networking, Storage and Analysis - SC ‘09 (p. 1). New York: ACM Press. https://doi.org/10.1145/1654059.1654102.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alkharabsheh, S., Fernandes, J., Gebrehiwot, B., Agonafer, D., Ghose, K., Ortega, A., Joshi, Y., & Sammakia, B. (2015). A brief overview of recent developments in thermal management in data centers. Journal of Electronic Packaging, 137(4), 040801. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4031326.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Andrén, F. P., Strasser, T. and Kastner, W. (2016) ‘Applying the SGAM methodology for rapid prototyping of smart grid applications’, IECON Proceedings (Industrial Electronics Conference), pp. 3812–3818. https://doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2016.7794057.
- Arianyan, E., Taheri, H., & Khoshdel, V. (2017). Novel fuzzy multi objective DVFS-aware consolidation heuristics for energy and SLA efficient resource management in cloud data centers. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 78, 43–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2016.09.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ASHRAE (2011) ‘2011 Gaseous and particulate contamination guidelines for data centers’, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, pp. 1–22.Google Scholar
- Beloglazov, A., & Buyya, R. (2013). Managing overloaded hosts for dynamic consolidation of virtual machines in cloud data centers under quality of service constraints. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 24(7), 1366–1379. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2012.240.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bennett, D. and Delforge, P. (2012) ‘Small server rooms, big energy savings opportunities and barriers to energy efficiency on the small server room market’, NRDC, (February).Google Scholar
- Boulos, S., Nuttall, C., Harrison, B., Moura, P. and Jehle, C. (2014) ErP lot 27—uninterruptible power supplies: preparatory study—final report. Ricardo-AEA, Intertek, ISR – University of Coimbra.Google Scholar
- Calheiros, R. N., Ranjan, R., De Rose, C. A. F. and Buyya, R. (2009) ‘CloudSim: a novel framework for modeling and simulation of cloud computing infrastructures and services’, arXiv preprint arXiv:0903.2525, p. 9.Google Scholar
- Camacho, J., Zhang, Y., Chen, M. and Chiu, D. M. (2014) ‘Balance your bids before your bits: the economics of geographic load-balancing’, Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Future Energy Systems (ACM e-Energy), pp. 75–85. https://doi.org/10.1145/2602044.2602068.
- Castro, P. H. P., Cardoso, K. V and Corrêa, S. (2013) ‘Uma Abordagem Baseada no Consumo de CPU e RAM para a Eficiencia Energetica em Centros de Dados para Computação em Nuvem’, Wscad-Ssc 2013, (February), p. 8. https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.4681.0242.
- Cecati, C., Mokryani, G., Piccolo, A. and Siano, P. (2010) ‘An overview on the smart grid concept’, IECON Proceedings (Industrial Electronics Conference), pp. 3322–3327. https://doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2010.5675310.
- Christantoni, D., Oxizidis, S., Flynn, D., & Finn, D. P. (2016). Implementation of demand response strategies in a multi-purpose commercial building using a whole-building simulation model approach. Energy and Buildings, 131, 76–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.09.017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cioara, T., Anghel, I., Bertoncini, M., Salomie, I., Arnone, D., Mammina, M., Velivassaki, T.-H., & Antal, M. (2016). Optimized flexibility management enacting data centres participation in smart demand response programs. Future Generation Computer Systems., 78, 330–342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2016.05.010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Craig-wood, K., Krause, P. and Mason, A. (2010) ‘Green ICT: oxymoron or call to innovation?’, Transport, (Ict), pp. 978–981. https://doi.org/10.5176/978-981-08-7240-3.
- Dargie, W. (2014) ‘Estimation of the cost of VM migration’, Proceedings - International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, ICCCN. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCCN.2014.6911756.
- Delforge, P. (2014) ‘America’s data centers are wasting huge amounts of energy’, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), IB:14-08-a(august), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Dreibholz, T., Becke, M. and Adhari, H. (2007) ‘Report to congress on server and data center energy efficiency public law 109-431’, tdr.wiwi.uni-due.de, 109, p. 431.Google Scholar
- Ebrahimi, K., Jones, G. F., & Fleischer, A. S. (2014). A review of data center cooling technology, operating conditions and the corresponding low-grade waste heat recovery opportunities. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 31, 622–638. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.12.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Emerson (2015) ‘Energy logic: reducing data center energy consumption by creating savings that cascade across systems’, White Paper, Emerson Network Power, pp. 1–21.Google Scholar
- Flanagan, C. (2013) ‘A data center perspective on demand response’, Data Centers Dynamics.Google Scholar
- Ghatikar, G., Piette, M. A., Fujita, S., McKane, A., Dudley J. H., Radspieler, A., Mares, K. C. and Shroyer, D. (2010) Demand response and open automated demand response opportunities for data centers, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Ghatikar, G., Ganti, V. and Matson, N. (2012) Demand response opportunities and enabling technologies for data centers: findings from field studies, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Grice, J. W., Dean, N. and Eddie, S. (2013) ‘Sustainable site selection: the convergence of data center site’, The Green Grid. Research Report, (Sustainable Site Selection), p. 20.Google Scholar
- Gupta, M. and Singh, S. (2003) ‘Greening of the internet’, Proceedings of the 2003 conference on Applications, technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer communications - SIGCOMM ‘03, pp. 19–26. https://doi.org/10.1145/863956.863959.
- Gupta, M. and Singh, S. (2007) ‘Using low-power modes for energy conservation in Ethernet LANs’, In IEEE INFOCOM 2007 - 26th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 2451–2455. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2007.299.
- Heller, B., Seetharaman, S., Mahadevan, P., Yiakoumis, Y., Sharma, P., Banerjee, S. and McKeown, N. (2010) ‘ElasticTree: saving energy in data center networks’, Proceedings of the 7th USENIX Conference on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 17–17. https://doi.org/10.1021/ci2004779.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hermenier, F., Lorca, X., Menaud, J.-M., Muller, G. and Lawall, J. (2009) ‘Entropy: a consolidation manager for clusters’, Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS international conference on Virtual execution environments - VEE ‘09, p. 41. https://doi.org/10.1145/1508293.1508300.
- Iec (2013) 'Uninterruptible power systems (UPS)—part 1: general and safety requirements for UPS.' International Electrotechnical Commission. Reference number. IEC 62040–1.Google Scholar
- International Energy Agency (2014) ‘Energy supply security 2014 Part 3’, Energy supply security: the emergency response of IEA countries—2014 Edition, pp. 1–105.Google Scholar
- Irwin, D., Sharma, N. and Shenoy, P. (2011) ‘Towards continuous policy-driven demand response in data centers’, Proceedings of the 2nd ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Green networking - GreenNets ‘11, p. 19. https://doi.org/10.1145/2018536.2018541.
- Islam, M. A., Arafath, M. Y. and Hasan, M. J. (2015) ‘Design of DDR4 SDRAM controller’, 8th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering: Advancing Technology for a Better Tomorrow, ICECE 2014, pp. 148–151. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECE.2014.7026950.
- JEDEC (2017) ‘JEDEC DDR5 & NVDIMM-P standards under development’, JEDEC’s Server Forum.Google Scholar
- Josh, W. and Delforge, P. (2014) Data center efficiency assessment: scaling up energy efficiency across the data center industry: evaluating key drivers and barriers. NRDC and Anthesis.Google Scholar
- Judge, J., Pouchet, J., Ekbote, A. and Dixit, S. (2008) ‘Reducing data center energy consumption’, ASHRAE Journal, 50(November).Google Scholar
- Kim, J. (2016) Strong, thorough, and efficient memory protection against existing and emerging DRAM errors. University of Texas.Google Scholar
- Krzywda, J., Ali-Eldin, A., Carlson, T. E., Östberg, P.-O., & Elmroth, E. (2017). Power-performance tradeoffs in data center servers: DVFS, CPU pinning, horizontal, and vertical scaling. Future Generation Computer Systems., 81, 114–128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2017.10.044.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lim, S.-H., Huh, J.-S., Kim, Y., & Das, C. R. (2011). Migration, assignment, and scheduling of jobs in virtualized environment. HotCloud, 2011, 1–5.Google Scholar
- Nathuji, R. and Schwan, K. (2007) ‘VirtualPower: coordinated power management in virtualized enterprise systems’, Proceedings of twenty-first ACM SIGOPS symposium on Operating systems principles - SOSP ‘07, p. 265. https://doi.org/10.1145/1294261.1294287.
- Nedevschi, S., Popa, L., Iannaccone, G., Ratnasamy, S., & Wetherall, D. (2008). Reducing network energy consumption via sleeping and rate-adaptation. Symposium a quarterly journal in modern foreign literatures, 21(3), 323–336. https://doi.org/10.11143/3471.
- Padala, P., Hou, K.-Y., Shin, K. G., Zhu, X., Uysal, M., Wang, Z., Singhal, S. and Merchant, A. (2009) ‘Automated control of multiple virtualized resources’, Proceedings of the 4th ACM European conference on Computer systems, pp. 13–26. https://doi.org/10.1145/1519065.1519068.
- Panajotovic, B., Jankovic, M. and Odadzic, B. (2011) ‘ICT and smart grid’, 2011 10th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Services, TELSIKS 2011 - Proceedings of Papers, pp. 118–121. https://doi.org/10.1109/TELSKS.2011.6112018.
- PIER (2008) ‘Uninterruptible power supplies: A data center efficiency opportunity. Technical brief. California Energy Commission’s Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Program’.Google Scholar
- Reiss, C., Tumanov, A., and Ganger, G. (2012) ‘Towards understanding heterogeneous clouds at scale: Google trace analysis’, Center for Cloud.Google Scholar
- Salom, J., Urbaneck, T. and Oró, E. (2017) Advanced concepts for renewable energy supply of data centres. River publishers. https://doi.org/10.13052/rp-9788793519411.
- Shehabi, A., Tschudi, W. and Gagdil, A. (2007) Data center economizer contamination and humidity study. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Shehabi, A., Smith, S. J., Sartor, D. A., Brown, R. E., Herrlin, M., Koomey, J. G., Masanet, E. R., Horner, N., Azevedo, I. L. and Lintner, W. (2016) ‘United States data center energy usage report’, Ernest Orlando Lawrence Barkeley National Laboratory, (June)Google Scholar
- SIA (2015) ‘Rebooting the IT revolution: a call to action. Semiconductor Industry Association and the Semiconductor Research Corporation’, p. 40.Google Scholar
- Sithimolada, V. and Sauer, P. W. (2010) ‘Facility-level DC vs. typical AC distribution for data centers: a comparative reliability study’, IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference, Proceedings/TENCON, pp. 2102–2107. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCON.2010.5686625.
- SPEC (2016) SPECpower_ssj2008 benchmark. http://www.spec.org/power_ssj2008/results/. Accessed 14-01-2016.Google Scholar
- Sueur, E. L. and Heiser, G. (2010) ‘Dynamic voltage and frequency scaling: the laws of diminishing returns’, Proceedings of the 2010 international conference on power aware computing and systems, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Tang, C., Dai, M. and Chuang, C.-C. (2012) ‘Demand response control strategies for on-campus small data centers’, in Ubiquitous Intelligence & Computing and 9th International Conference on Autonomic & Trusted Computing (UIC/ATC), 2012 9th International Conference on, pp. 217–224. https://doi.org/10.1109/UIC-ATC.2012.97.
- Tesauro, G., Jong, N. K., Das, R. and Bennani, M. N. (2006) ‘A hybrid reinforcement learning approach to autonomic resource allocation’, In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing, 2006. ICAC’06., pp. 65–73. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICAC.2006.1662383.
- The Green Grid (2016) ‘The green grid’. http://www.thegreengrid.org.Google Scholar
- Thekkilakattil, A., Pillai, A. S., Dobrin, R. and Punnekkat, S. (2010) ‘Preemption control using frequency scaling in fixed priority scheduling’, In 2010 IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing. IEEE, pp. 281–288. https://doi.org/10.1109/EUC.2010.47.
- Tran, N., Ren, S., Han, Z., Man Jang, S., Il Moon, S. and Seon Hong, C. (2014) ‘Demand response of data centers: a real-time pricing game between utilities in smart grid’, 9th International Workshop on Feedback Computing.Google Scholar
- Tsirogiannis, D., Harizopoulos, S. and Shah, M. a (2010) ‘Analyzing the energy efficiency of a database server’, the 2010 International Conference, p. 231. https://doi.org/10.1145/1807167.1807194.
- Vanson-Bourne (2011) V-index: virtualization penetration rate in the enterprise. Available at: http://www.v-index.com/full-report.html.Google Scholar
- Vasques, T., Moura, P. and Almeida, A. de (2017) ‘Energy efficiency insight into small and medium data centres: a comparative analysis based on a survey’, 13th European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy Summer Study on energy efficiency (ECEEE 2017), Presqu’île de Giens (France), 29th May - 3rd June.Google Scholar
- Verma, A., Koller, R., Useche, L. and Rangaswami, R. (2010) ‘SRCMap: Energy proportional storage using dynamic consolidation’, FAST’10 Proceedings of the 8th USENIX conference on File and storage technologies, (VM), p. 20.Google Scholar
- vor dem Berge, M., Buchholz, J., Cupertino, L., Da Costa, G., Donoghue, A., Gallizo, G., Jarus, M., Lopez, L., Oleksiak, A., Pages, E., Piątek, W., Pierson, J.-M., Piontek, T., Rathgeb, D., Salom, J., Sisó, L., Volk, E., Wössner, U., & Zilio, T. (2015). CoolEmAll: models and tools for planning and operating energy efficient data Centres. In Handbook on data centers (pp. 191–245). New York: Springer New York. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-2092-1_6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, C. and De Groot, M. (2013) ‘Enabling demand response in a computer cluster’, 2013 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm 2013, pp. 181–186. https://doi.org/10.1109/SmartGridComm.2013.6687954.
- Wang, P., Huang, J. Y., Ding, Y., Loh, P. and Goel, L. (2011) ‘Demand side load management of smart grids using intelligent trading/metering/billing system’, 2011 IEEE Trondheim PowerTech, pp. 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/PTC.2011.6019420.
- Wang, C., Urgaonkar, B., Wang, Q. and Kesidis, G. (2013) ‘A hierarchical demand response framework for data center power cost optimization under real-world electricity pricing’, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y., Brun, E., Malvagi, F. and Calvin, C. (2017b) ‘Competing energy lookup algorithms in Monte Carlo neutron transport calculations and their optimization on CPU and Intel MIC architectures’, Journal of Computational Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocs.2017.01.006.
- Whitney, J. and Delforge, P. (2014) ‘Data center efficiency assessment scaling up energy efficiency across the data center industry: evaluating key drivers and barriers’, (August).Google Scholar
- Wiboonrat, M. (2012) ‘Next generation data center design under smart grid’, Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN), 2012 Fourth International Conference on, pp. 103–108. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICUFN.2012.6261673.
- Wierman, A., Liu, Z., Liu, I. and Mohsenian-Rad, H. (2014) ‘Opportunities and challenges for data center demand response’, International Green Computing Conference. IEEE, pp. 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1109/IGCC.2014.7039172.