Testbed evaluation of a seamless handover mechanism for an SDN-based enterprise WLAN
- 26 Downloads
Many modern-day applications require seamless connectivity to provide a good quality experience to mobile users. Thus, mobility management mechanism becomes a crucial aspect of all the wireless technologies used to connect to the Internet. In this letter, we present the testbed implementation details of a Network Address Translation (NAT)-based, client-unaware, seamless handover mechanism for a Software-Defined Enterprise WLAN framework. The results from the testbed implementation corroborate that the handover mechanism can provide uninterrupted connectivity during a handover process.
KeywordsEnterprise WLANs Mobility Management Software-Defined Networking
This work was supported in part by a Mid-Career Institute Research and Development Award (IRDA) Grant from IIT Madras (2017–2020) and the Department of Science and Technology (DST) Grant (EMR/ 2016/003016) from the Government of India (2017–2020).
- 1.Chen W, Yen L, Chuo C, Heish T and Tseng C 2017 SDN-enabled session continuity for wireless networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICC, pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 2.Feirer S and Sauter T 2017 Seamless handover in industrial WLAN using IEEE 802.11k. In: Proceedings of IEEE ISIE, pp. 1234–1239Google Scholar
- 3.Zeljković E, Marquez-Barja J M, Kassler A, Riggio R and Latré S 2018 Proactive access point driven handovers in IEEE 802.11 networks. In: Proceedings of CNSM, pp. 261–267Google Scholar
- 4.Zhao D, Zhu M and Xu M 2014 SDWLAN: a flexible architecture of enterprise WLAN for client-unaware fast AP handoff. In: Proceedings of ICCCNT, pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 5.Sen A and Sivalingam K M 2019 A NAT based seamless handover for Software Defined Enterprise WLANs. In: Proceedings of IFIP WWIC, pp. 78–90Google Scholar
- 6.Sen A and Sivalingam K M 2015 An SDN framework for seamless mobility in enterprise WLANs. In: Proceedings of IEEE PIMRC, pp. 1985–1990Google Scholar
- 7.hostapd. http://w1.fi/hostapd/
- 8.The Click modular router. https://github.com/kohler/click
- 9.Project Floodlight. http://www.projectfloodlight.org/floodlight/
- 11.Welte H libnetfilter_queue. http://www.netfilter.org/projects/libnetfilter_queue/.