Damage detection in submerged plates using ultrasonic guided waves
- 288 Downloads
This paper describes a non-contact and non-invasive health monitoring strategy for submerged plate structures using guided waves. The structure under consideration is immersed in water and subjected to longitudinal ultrasonic waves at specific angles of incidence using a cylindrical piezoelectric transducer using the surrounding water as coupling medium. Suitable ultrasonic guided wave modes with optimum scanning capabilities have been generated and identified in submerged plate system. Finally, the propagation of selected modes through submerged notched plates is investigated. Sensitivity of leaky waves to the notches has been studied. The methodology would help in identifying damages in the submerged plate structures.
KeywordsUltrasonic guided waves dispersion modes submerged plates notches
The fund received from the Naval Research Board, Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO), Government of India is gratefully acknowledged. Dr Tribikram Kundu, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA visited the health monitoring laboratory in Thapar University on an National Science Foundation Department of Science and Technology (NSF-DST) grant. The authors acknowledge his advice on the study.
- Guo D and Kundu T 2001 A new transducer holder mechanism for pipe inspection. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 110: 303–309Google Scholar
- Nagy P B, Rose W R and Adler L 1986. Review of Progress in NDE, D O Thompson and D E Chimenti (Eds.) Plenum Press, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- Pavlakovic B N and Cawley P 2000. DISPERSE User’s Manual Version 188.8.131.52, Imperial College, University of London, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Rose J L 2002a Standing on the Shoulders of Giants – An Example of Guided Wave inspection. Mater. Eval. 60: 53–59Google Scholar
- Rose J L 2003 NDT Solution – Guided wave testing of water loaded structures. Mater. Eval. 60: 23Google Scholar
- Rose W R, Rohlin S I and Adler L 1986. Review of Progress in NDE, D O Thompson and D E Chimenti (Eds.) Plenum Press, New York, NYGoogle Scholar