Design and characterization of a new shape memory alloy wire based Poly Phase Motor has been reported in this paper. The motor can be used either in stepping mode or in servo mode of operation. Each phase of the motor consists of an SMA wire with a spring in series. The principle of operation of the poly phase motor is presented. The motor resembles a stepper motor in its functioning though the actuation principles are different and hence has been characterized similar to a stepper motor. The motor can be actuated in either direction with different phase sequencing methods, which are presented in this work. The motor is modelled and simulated and the results of simulations and experiments are presented. The experimental model of the motor is of dimension 150 mm square, 20 mm thick and uses SMA wire of 0·4 mm diameter and 125 mm of length in each phase.
KeywordsShape Memory Alloy (SMA) poly phase rotary actuator torque ripple
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duerig T W, Melton K N, Stockel D, Wayman C M 1990 Engineering aspects of shape memory alloys (London: Butterworth) Heinemann, Part I & Part IIGoogle Scholar
- Kuo B C 1979 Incremental Motion Control, Step Motors and Control Systems, Vol. II, SRL Publishing Co, 1–90Google Scholar
- Kuribayashi K 1989b Millimeter size joint actuator using shape memory alloy. Industrial Electronics Society, IECON’89, 15th Annual Conference of IEEE, 1: 139–144Google Scholar
- Mellor B G 1989 Engineering properties of shape memory alloys. In: J M Guilemany (Ed.), Science and technology of Shape Memory Alloys Palma de Mallorca: Univ. Illes Balears 335–395Google Scholar
- Otsuka K, Wayman C M 1989 Shape memory materials, Cambridge University Press, Chapter 11Google Scholar