- First Online:
This is the story of a determined Indian who strived very hard and achieved greatness. He went to Harvard Medical School with very little money, braved many grave hardships and eventually fulfilled his ambitions to a large extent. Yellapragada SubbaRow did research in Harvard Medical School in biological chemistry and directed research at Lederle Laboratories, a pharmaceutical giant near New York. He played an important part in several historic and extraordinary discoveries made in biological chemistry and medicine during 1924–1948. Some of the important ones are phosphocreatine, adenosine triphosphate, vitamin B9, antifolate cancer drugs, filaricides and antibiotics. He made many personal sacrifices to accomplish what he wanted to. He received little recognition during his lifetime, but is now hailed as one of the most eminent medical minds of the century.
KeywordsSubbaRow phosphorus estimation phosphocreatine folic acid antifolates cancer methotrexate filariasis hetrazan tetracycline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C H Fiske and Y SubbaRow, J. Biol. Chem., Vol.66, pp.375–400, 1925.Google Scholar
- G D Christian, Analytical Chemistry, 6th Ed., John-Wiley, pp.769–770, 2004; R Sood, Medical Laboratory Technology-Methods and Interpretations, 5th Ed., Jaypee, New Delhi, pp.450–452, 2003Google Scholar
- R D Simoni, R L Hill and M Vaughn, J. Biol. Chem., Vol.277(32), e21, 2002.Google Scholar
- C H Fiske and Y SubbaRow, J. Biol. Chem., Vol.74, pp.22, 1927; C H Fiske and Y SubbaRow, J. Biol. Chem., Vol.81, pp.629–679, 1929.Google Scholar
- C W Waller, B L Hutchings, J H Mowat, E L R Stokstad, J H Boothe, R B Angier, J Semb and Y SubbaRow (Lederle Laboratories), D B Cosulich, M J Fahrenbach, M E Hultquist, E Kuh, E H Northey, D R Seeger, J P Sickels and J M Smith, Jr. (Calco Chemical Division of American Cyanamid Company), Ann. New York Acad. Sc., Vol.485(5), pp.283–287, 1946; H K Mitchell, E E Snell, and R J Williams, J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol.63, pp.2284, 1941.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R I Hewitt, S Kushner, H W Stewart, E White, W S Wallace and Y SubbaRow, J. Lab. Clin. Med., Vol.32, pp.1314–1329, 1947; H W Hewitt, R J Turner, J J Denton, S Kushner, L M Brancone, W L McEven, R I Hewitt and Y SubbaRow, J. Org. Chem., Vol.13, pp.134–143, 1948; S Kushner, L M Brancone, R I Hewitt, W L McEwen, H W Stewart, R J Turner, J J Denton and Y SubbaRow, J. Org. Chem., Vol.13, pp.144–153, 1948.Google Scholar
- B K Harned, R W Cunningham, M C Clark, R Cosgrove, C H Hine, W J McCauley, E Stokey, R E Vessey, N N Yuda and Y SubbaRow, Presentation at New York Academy of Science, New York, July 21, 1948; BM Duggar, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci., Vol.51, pp.177–181, 1948.Google Scholar
- S P K Gupta and E L Milford, In Quest of Panacea — Successes and Failures of Yallaprgada SubbaRow, Evelyn Publishers, New Delhi, 1987 (Biography).Google Scholar
- Yellapragada SubbaRow Archives Online (website).Google Scholar