Diliberto–Straus algorithm for the uniform approximation by a sum of two algebras
- 53 Downloads
In 1951, Diliberto and Straus  proposed a levelling algorithm for the uniform approximation of a bivariate function, defined on a rectangle with sides parallel to the coordinate axes, by sums of univariate functions. In the current paper, we consider the problem of approximation of a continuous function defined on a compact Hausdorff space by a sum of two closed algebras containing constants. Under reasonable assumptions, we show the convergence of the Diliberto–Straus algorithm. For the approximation by sums of univariate functions, it follows that Diliberto–Straus’s original result holds for a large class of compact convex sets.
KeywordsUniform approximation levelling algorithm proximity map bolt.
Mathematics Subject Classifications:41A30 41A65 46B28 65D15.
The authors are grateful to the referee for numerous comments and suggestions that improved the original manuscript.
- Aumann G, Uber approximative nomographie, II, (German), Bayer. Akad. Wiss. Math.-Nat. Kl. S.-B. (1959) 103–109Google Scholar
- Deutsch F, The alternating method of von Neumann, Multivariate approximation theory (Proc. Conf., Math. Res. Inst., Oberwolfach, 1979), in: Internat. Ser. Numer. Math., 51 (1979) (Birkhauser: Basel-Boston) pp. 83–96Google Scholar
- Engelking R, General topology, Sigma Series in Pure Mathematics, 6 (1989) (Berlin: Heldermann Verlag) 529 pp.Google Scholar
- Golomb M, Approximation by functions of fewer variables, in: On numerical approximation. Proceedings of a Symposium (ed.) R E Langer (1959) (Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press) pp. 275–327Google Scholar
- Ismailov V E, On error formulas for approximation by sums of univariate functions, Int. J. Math. and Math. Sci. 2006 (2006) Article ID 65620, 11 pp.Google Scholar
- Khavinson S Ya, Best approximation by linear superpositions (approximate nomography), Translated from the Russian manuscript by D Khavinson, Translations of Mathematical Monographs, 159 (1997) (Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society) 175 pp.Google Scholar
- Light W A and Cheney E W, Approximation theory in tensor product spaces, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 1169 (1985) (Berlin: Springer-Verlag) 157 pp.Google Scholar
- von Neumann J, Functional Operators, II, The Geometry of Orthogonal Spaces (1950) (Princeton University Press) 107 pp. (This is a reprint of mimeographed lecture notes first distributed in 1933)Google Scholar