Corelli: Efficient single crystal diffraction with elastic discrimination
- 186 Downloads
Single crystal diffuse scattering provides one of the most powerful probes of short-range correlations on the 1–100 nm scale, which often are responsible for the extreme field response of many emerging phenomena of great interest. Accurate modeling of such complex disorder from diffuse scattering data however puts stringent experimental demands, requiring measurements over large volumes of reciprocal space with sufficient momentum and energy resolution. Here, we discuss the potential of the cross-correlation technique for efficient measurement of single crystal diffuse scattering with energy discrimination, as will be implemented in a novel instrument, Corelli. Utilizing full experiment simulations, we show that this technique readily leads up to a fifty-fold gain in efficiency, as compared to traditional methods, for measuring single crystal diffuse scattering over volumes of reciprocal space with elastic discrimination.
KeywordsNeutron diffraction diffuse scattering elastic discrimination
PACS Nos61.05.F 61.50.-f 61.43.-j 61.44.n
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F Frey, European J. Mineral. 9, 693 (1997)Google Scholar
- V M Nield and D A Keen, Diffuse neutron scattering from crystalline materials (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 2001)Google Scholar
- L Pal, N Kroó, P Pellionisz, F Szlavik and I Vizi, in Neutron inelastic scattering (I.A.E.A., Vienna, 1968) p. 407Google Scholar
- W Matthes, in Neutron inelastic scattering (I.A.E.A., Vienna, 1968) p. 773Google Scholar
- N Kroó, P Pellionisz, I Vizi, G Zsigmond and G Zhukov, in Neutron inelastic scattering (I.A.E.A., Vienna, 1968) p. 763Google Scholar
- R K Crawford, J R Haumann, G E Ostrowski, D L Price and K Sköld, in International Conference on Advanced Neutron Sources (Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, USA, 1986)Google Scholar
- R Cywinski and W G Williams, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Report, RAL-84-062 (1984)Google Scholar
- E B Iverson, P D Ferguson, F X Gallmeier and I I Popova (Spallation Neutron Source, 2002)Google Scholar