Two-fractal overlap time series: Earthquakes and market crashes
- 50 Downloads
We find prominent similarities in the features of the time series for the (model earthquakes or) overlap of two Cantor sets when one set moves with uniform relative velocity over the other and time series of stock prices. An anticipation method for some of the crashes have been proposed here, based on these observations.
KeywordsCantor set time series earthquake market crash
PACS Nos05.00 02.50.-r 64.60 89.65.Gh 95.75.Wx
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D Sornette, Why stock markets crash? (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, 2003)Google Scholar
- [1a]R N Mantegna, H E Stanley, Introduction to econophysics (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1999)Google Scholar
- S Pradhan, P Chaudhuri and B K Chakrabarti, Continuum models and discrete systems edited by D J Bergman and E Inan (Nato Sc. Series, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 2004) pp. 245–250, cond-mat/0307735Google Scholar
- NYSE Daily Index Closes from http://www.unifr.ch/econophysics
- P Bhattacharyya and B K Chakrabarti (eds), Modelling critical and catastrophic phenomena in geoscience, Lecture notes in physics (Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2006) vol. 705Google Scholar
- U S Geological Survey, Southern California Catalogs, www.data.scec.org