Complex brain networks: From topological communities to clustered dynamics
Recent research has revealed a rich and complicated network topology in the cortical connectivity of mammalian brains. A challenging task is to understand the implications of such network structures on the functional organisation of the brain activities. We investigate synchronisation dynamics on the corticocortical network of the cat by modelling each node of the network (cortical area) with a subnetwork of interacting excitable neurons. We find that this network of networks displays clustered synchronisation behaviour and the dynamical clusters closely coincide with the topological community structures observed in the anatomical network. The correlation between the firing rate of the areas and the areal intensity is additionally examined. Our results provide insights into the relationship between the global organisation and the functional specialisation of the brain cortex.
KeywordsCortical networks multilevel model anatomical hierarchy functional hierarchy clustered synchronisation
PACS Nos87.18.Sn 89.75.Da 89.75.Fb 05.45.Xt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A Arenas, A Díaz-Guilera and C J Pérez-Vicente, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 114102 (2006)Google Scholar
- [2a]C S Zhou, A E Motter and J Kurths, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 034101 (2006)Google Scholar
- V M Eguíluz, D R Chialvo, G Cecchi, M Baliki and A V Apkarian, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 018102 (2005)Google Scholar
- [4a]C J Stam, B F Jones, G Nolte, M Breaskpear and P Scheltens, Cereb. Cortex 26(1), 63 (2006)Google Scholar
- [5b]C J Honey, R Kötter, M Breakspear and O Sporns, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 104(24), 10240 (2007)Google Scholar
- R Kötter and F T Sommer, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London B355, 127 (2000)Google Scholar
- [6a]M P Young, C C Hilgetag and J W Scannell, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London B355, 147 (2000)Google Scholar
- C C Hilgetag, G A Burns, M A O’Neill, J W Scannell and M P Young, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London B355, 91 (2000)Google Scholar
- [11a]C S Zhou, L Zemanová, G Zamora, C C Hilgetag and J Kurths, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 238103 (2006)Google Scholar
- E Niedermeyer and F Lopes da Silva, Electroencephalography: Basic principles, clinical applications, and related fields (Williams & Wilkins, 1993)Google Scholar
- M Barbosa, K Dockendorf, M Escalona, B Ibarz, A Miliotis, I Sendiña-Nadal, G Zamora and L Zemanová, Parallel computation of large neuronal networks with structured connectivity, in Lectures in supercomputational neuroscience: Dynamics in complex brain networks edited by P Beim Graben, C S Zhou, M Thiel and J Kurths (Springer, Berlin, 2007)Google Scholar