Magnetic metal and metal oxide nanoparticles capped with alkylamines have been synthesized and characterized by transmission electron microscopy. X-ray diffraction, energy dispersive X-ray analysis and magnetization measurements. Core-shell Pd-Ni particles with composition, Pd561Ni3000, (diameter ∼3.3 nm) are superparamagnetic at 5 K and organize themselves into two-dimensional crystalline arrays. Similar arrays are obtained with Pd561Ni3000Pd1500 nanoparticles containing an additional Pd shell. Magnetic spinel particles of γ-Fe2O3, Fe3O4 and CoFe2O4 of average diameters in the 4–6 nm range coated with octylamine are all supermagnetic at room temperature and yield close-packed disordered arrays. Relatively regular arrays are formed by dodecylaminecapped Fe3O4 nanoparticles (∼8.6 nm diameter) while well-ordered hexagonal arrays were obtained with octylamine-covered Co3O4 nanoparticles (∼4.2 nm diameter).
KeywordsSelf-assembly magnetic nanoparticles
PACS Nos81.16.D 81.07.Bc 81.16.B
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nanoparticles and nanostructured films preparation, characterization and applications edited by J H Fendler (Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 1998)Google Scholar
- P P Edwards, R L Johnston and C N R Rao in Metal clusters in chemistry edited by P. Braunstein, G Oro and P R Raithby (Wiely-VCH, New York, 2000)Google Scholar
- Physics and chemistry of small clusters edited by P Jena, B K Rao and S N Khanna (Plenum Press, New York, 1987)Google Scholar
- P J Thomas, G U Kulkarni and C N R Rao, J. Phys. Chem. B104, 8138 (2000)Google Scholar
- M D Bentzon, J V Wonterghem, S Mörup, A Thölén and C J W Koch, Philos. Mag. B60, 169 (1989)Google Scholar
- Clusters and Colloids: from theory to applications edited by G Schmid (Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 1995)Google Scholar
- K V Sarathy, G U Kulkarni and C N R Rao, Chem. Commun. 573 (1997)Google Scholar
- K V Sarathy, G Raina, R T Yadav, G U Kulkarni and C N R Rao, J. Phys. Chem. B101, 9876 (1997)Google Scholar
- J R Heath, M C Knobler and D V Leff, J. Phys. Chem. B101, 189 (1997)Google Scholar
- X-ray diffraction procedures for crystalline and amorphous solids by H P Klug and L E Alexander (Wiley-Interscience, 1974)Google Scholar