Secretome Prediction and Analysis in Sacred Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.)
- 224 Downloads
Sacred lotus, Nelumbo nucifera (Gaertn.), is a basal eudicot with agricultural and medicinal importance. The secretome and proteins in some other subcellular locations including endoplasmic reticulum (ER), mitochondrion, chloroplast, and membrane of sacred lotus were predicted using a set of computational tools. The distribution of proteins in each subcellular location in sacred lotus was compared with proteins in five other plant species. Plant proteomes contained approximately 6–9 % of secreted proteins, 13–15 % membrane proteins, 12–20 % mitochondrial or chloroplast proteins, respectively. Plant secreted proteins consist of a large number of hydrolases and peroxidases which may contribute to cell wall formation, rhizome development and seed germination regulation. The information of secretome and other protein subcellular locations in sacred lotus and other species can be accessed at the PlantSecKB website (http://proteomics.ysu.edu/secretomes/plant.php).
KeywordsSecreted protein Secretome Subcellular locations Hydrolase Peroxidase
Basic local alignment search tool
Reads Per Kilobase of exon model per Million mapped reads
Reversed position specific BLAST
The work was supported by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to RM and the Ohio Plant Biotechnology Consortium and Youngstown State University (YSU) Research Council to XJM.
- Boudart G, Minic Z, Albenne C, Canut H, Jamet E, Pont-Lezica R (2007) Cell wall proteome. In: Samaj S, Thelen J (eds) Plant Proteomics. Springer, pp. 169–185Google Scholar
- Isaacson T, Rose JKC (2006) The plant cell wall proteome, or secretome. In: Finnie C (ed) Plant Proteomics. Annual Plant Reviews Series. Blackwell Publishing 28: 185–209Google Scholar
- Lum G, Min XJ (2011b) Plant secretomes: Current status and future perspectives. Plant Omics J 4:114–119Google Scholar
- Lum G, Min XJ (2013) Bioinformatic protocols and the knowledge − base for secretomes in fungi. In: Gupta VK, Tuohy MG, Ayyachamy M, Turner KM, O’Donovan A (eds) Laboratory protocols in fungal biology: current methods in fungal biology. Springer, pp. 545–557Google Scholar
- Min XJ (2010) Evaluation of computational methods for secreted protein prediction in different eukaryotes. J Proteomics Bioinform 3:143–147Google Scholar
- Ming R, VanBuren R, Liu Y, et al (2013) Genome of the long-living sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.). Genome Biology: 14:R41Google Scholar
- VanBuren R, Walters B, Ming R, Min XJ (2013) Analysis of expressed sequence tags and alternative splicing genes in sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.). Plant Omics J (in press)Google Scholar