Variation of grain quality characters and marker-trait association in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
- 34 Downloads
A set of 24 genotypes were studied for 17 grain quality characters and validated with the reported associated rice microsatellite markers with grain quality characters. Using 23 polymorphic markers distributed across 11 chromosomes marker-trait associations were studied. The percentage of polymorphism information content (PIC) of the markers ranged between 54.0 and 86.7. Eight markers with >80% and seven markers with >70% of PIC were found to be efficient in differentiating the studied grain quality characters. A total of 37 significant marker-trait associations (P ≤ 0.09) were found with R2 ranging from 4.70% to 43.80%. Eight markers a (RM246, RM11, RM241, RM16427, RM421, RM3, RM234 and RM257) showed association with more than one character suggesting their utility for the selection for grain quality characters which can be deployed in the rice crop improvement programmes.
Keywordsgrain quality microsatellite markers association validation.
Authors are thankful to ICAR-CRP-Biofortification project, ICAR-Indian Institute of Rice Research, Hyderabad for financial support and providing facilities.
- Akinwale M. G., Gregorio G., Nwilene F., Akinyele B. O., Ogunbayo S. A. and Odiyi A. C. 2011 Heritability and correlation coefficient analysis for yield and its components in rice (Oryza sativa L). Afr. J. Plant Sci. 5, 207–212.Google Scholar
- Balaji Suresh P., Srikanth B., Hemanth Kishore V., SubhakaraRao I., Vemireddy L. N. and Dharika N. 2012 Fine mapping of Rf3 and Rf4 fertility restorer loci of WA-CMS of rice (Oryza sativa L.) and validation of the developed marker system for identification of restorer lines. Euphytica 187, 421–435.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ban T. 1971 Rice cracking in high rate drying. Jpn. Agr. Res. Q. 6, 113–116.Google Scholar
- Bautista R. C., Siebenmorgen T. J. and Cnossen A. G. 2000 Fissure formation characterization in rice kernels using video microscopy. In Proceedings of the 2000 international drying symposium. Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Bradbury P. J., Zhang Z., Kroon D. E., Casstevens T. M., Ramdoss Y. and Buckler E. S. 2007 Tassel:software for association mapping of complex traits in diverse samples. Bioinformatics 23, 2633–2635.Google Scholar
- IRRI 2015 Steps to successful rice production, pp. 1–27. International Rice Research Institute, Manila.Google Scholar
- Juliano B. O. 1971 Simplified assay for milled-rice amylose. Cereal Sci. Today 16, 334–338.Google Scholar
- Juliano B. O. 1985 Criteria and test for rice grain quality. In Rice chemistry and technology, 2nd edition, pp. 443–513. American Association of Cereal Chemists, Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Juliano B. O. and Bechtel D. B. 1985 The rice grain and its gross composition. In Rice chemistry and technology, 2nd edition, pp. 17–57. American Association of Cereal Chemists, Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Khush G. S., Paule C. M. and Dela Cruz N. M. 1979 Rice grain quality evaluation and improvement at IRRI. In Proceedings of the workshop on chemical aspects of rice grain, pp. 21–31. International Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines.Google Scholar
- Lin H. X., Min-Shao K., Xiong Z. M., Qian H. R., Zhuang J. Y., Lu J. et al. 1995 RFLP mapping of QTLs for grain shape traits in indica rice (Oryza sativa L. subsp. indica). Sci. Agric. Sin. 28, 1–7.Google Scholar
- Little R. R., Hilder G. B. and Dawson E. H. 1958 Differential effect of dilute alkali on 25 varieties of milled white rice. Cereal Chem. 35, 111–126.Google Scholar
- Madhubabu P., Suman K., Ramya Rathod., Fiyaz R. A., Rao S. D., Sudhakar P. et al. 2017 Evaluation of grain yield, quality and nutrients content in four rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes. Curr. J. Appl. Sci. Technol. 22, 1–12.Google Scholar
- Rao S. D., Madhu Babu P., Swarnalatha P., Suneetha K., Bhadana V. P., Varaprasad G. S. et al. 2014 Assessment of grain zinc and iron variability in rice germplasm using energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrophotometer (ED-XRF). J. Rice Res. 7, 45–52.Google Scholar
- RKMP 2014 Rice knowledge management portal (http://www.rkmp.co.in).
- Sangeetha A., Malhotra P. K., Bhatia V. K. and Rajendra P. 2008 Statistical package for agricultural research (SPAR 2.0). J. Indian Soc. Agric. Stat. 62, 65–74.Google Scholar
- SES (Standard Evaluation System for Rice) 2013 5th edition. IRRI, Manila, Philippines (http://www.clrri.org/ver2/uploads/SES_5th_edition.pdf).
- Temnykh S., DeClerck G., Lukashova A., Lipovich L., Cartinhour S. and McCouch S. 2001 Computational and experimental analysis of microsatellites in rice (Oryza sativa L.): frequency, length variation, transposon associations, and genetic marker potential. Genome Res. 11, 1441–1452.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheng K., Huang N., Bennett J. and Khush G. S. 1995 PCR-based marker assisted selection in rice breeding. In IRRI Discussion Paper Series, No. 12. International Rice Research Institute, Manila.Google Scholar