Janaki Ammal, C. D. Darlington and J. B. S. Haldane: scientific encounters at the end of empire
- 102 Downloads
Right from the beginning, genetics has been an international venture, with international networks involving the collaboration of scientists across continents. Janaki Ammal’s career illustrates this. This paper traces her scientific path by situating it in the context of her relationships with J. B. S. Haldane and C. D. Darlington.
Keywordsscience empire India
- Abir-Am P. G. and Outram D. 1987 (ed.) Uneasy careers and intimate lives: women in science, 1787–1979. Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick.Google Scholar
- Clark R. 2013 JBS: the life and work of J. B. S. Haldane. Bloomsbury Reader, London.Google Scholar
- DeJong-Lambert 2017 J. B. S. Haldane and Лысеhкoвщиhа\((\) Lysenkovschina \()\). J. Genet. 96. ( https://doi.org/10.1007/s12041-017-0843-2).
- Dronamraju K. R. 1985 Haldane, the life and work of JBS Haldane with special reference to India. Aberdeen university Press, Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- Galton, Francis 1904 The American Journal of sociology, Volume X; July, Number 1.Google Scholar
- Haldane J. B. S. 1924 A mathematical theory of natural and artificial selection. Transaction of the Cambridge Philosophical society 23, 19–41.Google Scholar
- Haldane J. B. S. 1932 The inequality of man and other essays. Chatto and Windus, London.Google Scholar
- Haldane J. B. S. 1940 Lysenko and genetics. Sci. Soc. 4, 433–437.Google Scholar
- Harman O. S. 2004 The man who invented the chromosome; the life of Cyril Darlington. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Krementsov N. L. 2005 International science between the world wars, the case of genetics. Routledge, Abingdon.Google Scholar
- Mazumdar P. M. 1992 Eugenics, human genetics and human failings: the eugenics society, its sources and its critics in Britain. Routledge, London.Google Scholar
- Rao V. 2015 J.B.S. Haldane, an Indian scientist of British origin. Curr. Sci. 109, 634–638.Google Scholar
- Rao V. 2017 J. B. S. Haldane and Journal of Genetics. J. Genet. 96. ( https://doi.org/10.1007/s12041-017-0841-4).
- Rao V. and Nanjundiah V. 2010 JBS Haldane, Ernst Mayr and the beanbag genetics dispute. J. Hist. Biol. ( https://doi.org/10.1007/s10739-010-9229-5).
- Stocking G. W. 1991 Victorian anthropology. Simon & Schuster, USA.Google Scholar
- Subramanian C. S. 2007 Edavaleth Kakkat Janaki Ammal. Resonance amper sand 4–9.Google Scholar
- Thurston E. and Rangachari K. 1909 Castes and tribes of south India. Government Press, Madras (https://archive.org/details/castestribesofso01thuriala).
- Wilmot S. 2017 J. B. S. Haldane: the John Innes years. J. Genet. 96. ( https://doi.org/10.1007/s12041-017-0830-7).