Impact of continental meteorology and atmospheric circulation in the modulation of Aerosol Optical Depth over the Arabian Sea
- 115 Downloads
Time series analysis of Aerosol Optical Depth (AOD) derived from NOAA-AVHRR data during the period 1996–1999 and the MODIS data during 2000–2009 over the Arabian Sea revealed a systematic biennial variability in the high AOD during summer months. The variability is more prominent over the northern and central parts of the Arabian Sea and became less significant towards southern latitudes. The possible mechanisms for these are examined by estimating the source strength over coastal Arabia and AOD flow rate through the western boundary of the Arabian Sea. Both these show clear signatures of biennial variability with same phase as AOD for most of the years. This result indicates that the observed biennial variability in AOD is likely to be the outcome of combined effects of biennial variability in wind generated sea-salt aerosols and dust transported from Arabia.
KeywordsAtmospheric aerosols satellite remote sensing Indian Ocean
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beegum N S, Moorthy K K, Babu S S, Reddy R R, Gopal K R and Ahmed Y N 2009 Quasi-biennial oscillations in spectral aerosol optical depth; Atmos. Sci. Lett. 10 279–284.Google Scholar
- IPCC 2007 Climate Change 2007 The physical science basis, In: Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 996p.Google Scholar
- Jones D B A, Schneider H R and McElroy M B 1998 Effect of the quasi-biennial oscillation on the zonally averaged transport of tracers; J. Geophys. Res. 103 11,235–11,249.Google Scholar
- Kalnay E, Kanamitsu M, Kistler R, Collins W, Deaven D, Gandin L, Iredell M, Saha S, White G, Woollen J, Zhu Y, Chelliah M, Ebisuzaki W, Higgins W, Janowiakb J, Mo K C, Ropelewski C, Wang J, Leetmaa A, Reynolds R, Jenne R and Joseph D 1996 The NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis 40-year Project; Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77 437–471.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Levy R C, Remer L A, Tanre D, Kaufman Y J, Ichoku C, Holben B N, Livingston J M, Russell P B and Maring H 2003 Evaluation of the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectro-radiometer (MODIS) retrievals of dust aerosol over the ocean during PRIDE; J. Geophys. Res. 108(D19) 8594, doi: 10.1029/2002JD002460.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moorthy K K and Satheesh S K 2000 Characteristics of aerosols over a remote island Minicoy in Arabian Sea: Optical properties and retrieved size characteristics; Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 126 81–109.Google Scholar
- Moorthy K K, Sunilkumar S V, Pillai P S, Parameswaran K, Nair P R, Ahmed Y N, Ramgopal K, Narasimhulu K, Reddy R R, Vinoj V, Satheesh S K, Niranhan K, Rao B M, Brahmanandam P S, Saha A, Badarinath K V S, Kiranchand T R and Latha K M 2005 Winter time spatial characteristics of boundary layer aerosols over peninsular India; J. Geophys. Res. 110 D08207, doi: 10.1029/2004JD005520.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Remer L A, Kaufman Y J, Tanré D, Mattoo S, Chu D A, Martins J V, Li R R, Ichoku C, Levy R C, Kleidman R G, Eck T F, Vermote E and Holben B N 2005 The MODIS aerosol algorithm, products and validation; J. Atmos. Sci. Spec. Issue 62 947–973.Google Scholar
- Satheesh S K and Moorthy K K 1997 Aerosol characteristics over coastal regions of the Arabian Sea; Tellus 49B 417–428.Google Scholar
- Twomey S A, Piepgrass M and Wolfe T L 1984 An assessment of the impact of pollution on global cloud albedo; Tellus 36(5) 356–366.Google Scholar
- Zhu A, Ramanathan V, Li F and Kim D 2007 Dust plumes over the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic oceans: Climatology and radiative impact; J. Geophys. Res. 112(D16208) 15, doi: 10.1029/2007JD008427.Google Scholar