Role of dynamics in the advection of aerosols over the Arabian Sea along the west coast of peninsular India during pre-monsoon season: A case study based on satellite data and regional climate model
- 78 Downloads
The circulation dynamics of an event marked by the formation of an aerosol cluster off the coast of Maharashtra on April 22, 2006, its southward migration along the Indian west coast with a mean speed of ~200 km/day and its final dissipation after reaching the end of the peninsula by April 28, 2006 as revealed by MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) against the pre-monsoon conditions of April 2006 are examined in this study. The maximum aerosol concentration in the cluster was found getting confined to lower and lower altitudes during its southward movement. The NCEP/NCAR (National Centers for Environmental Prediction/National Center for Atmospheric Research) reanalysis wind field indicates that the atmospheric circulation, especially the horizontal wind convergence is the major factor that guides the formation and the dynamics of the cluster. Fine mode fraction from MODIS suggests that the cluster mainly consists of coarse dust particles. The regional climate model, RegCM3 with an efficient dust generation module simulates the formation and movement of the cluster appreciably well. The simulations which also exhibit the altitudinally descending nature of the cluster during its southward movement confirm the mechanism which governs the cluster dynamics suggested based on MODIS and NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data.
KeywordsAerosol cluster; circulation dynamics; wind convergence; regional climate model.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Badarinath K V S, Shailesh Kumar Kharol, Kaskaoutis D G, Anu Rani Sharma, Ramaswamy V and Kambezidis H D 2010 Long range transport of dust aerosols over Arabian Sea and Indian region – A case study using satellite data and ground-based measurements; Global Planet. Change 72 164–181.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dickinson R, Henderson-Sellers A and Kennedy P 1993 Biosphere atmosphere transfer scheme (BATS) version 1e as coupled to the NCAR community climate model; Technical Report National Center for Atmospheric Research, p. 72.Google Scholar
- Di Girolamo L, Bond T C, Bramer D, Diner D J, Fettinger F, Kahn R A, Martonchik J V, Ramana M V, Ramanathan V and Rasch P J 2004 Analysis of multi-angle imaging spectroradiometer (MISR) aerosol optical depths over greater India during winter 2001–2004; Geophys. Res. Lett. 31 L23115, doi: 10.1029/2004GL021273.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heitzenberg J, Charlson R J and Clarke A D et al 1997 Measurements and modeling of aerosol single scattering albedo: Progress, problems and prospects; Beitr. Phys. Atmos. 70 249–263.Google Scholar
- Jha B and Krishnamurthi T N 1998 Real-time meteorological reanalysis atlas during pre-INDOEX field phase – 1998, Rep. 98–08; INDOEX Publ. 20 (Tallahassee: Department of Meteorology, Fla. State Univ.).Google Scholar
- Pal J S, Giorgi F, Bi X, Elguindi N, Solmon F, Gao X, Rauscher S A, Francisco R, Zakey A, Winter J, Ashfaq M, Syed F S, Bell J L, Diffenbaugh N S, Karmacharya J, Konare A, Martinez D, da Rocha R P, Sloan L C and Steiner A 2007 Regional climate modeling for the developing world: The ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET; Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 88(9) 1395–1409.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rajeev K, Nair S K, Parameswaran K and Raju C S 2004 Satellite observations of the regional aerosol distribution and transport over the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean; Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 33 11–29.Google Scholar
- Sikka D R 1997 Desert climate and its dynamics; Curr. Sci. 72(1) 35–46.Google Scholar
- Vinoj V, Babu S S, Satheesh S K, Moorthy K K and Kaufman Y J 2004 Radiative forcing by aerosols over the Bay of Bengal region derived from shipborne, island-based, and satellite (Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) observations; J. Geophys. Res. 109 D05203, doi: 10.1029/2003JD004329.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Welton E J, Voss K J, Quinn P K, Flatau P J, Markowicz K, Campbell J R, Spinhirne J D, Gordon H R and Johnson J E 2002 Measurements of aerosol vertical profiles and optical properties during INDOEX 1999 using micropulse lidars; J. Geophys. Res. 107(D19) 8019, doi: 10.1029/2000JD000038.CrossRefGoogle Scholar