Temporal characteristics of aerosol physical properties at Visakhapatnam on the east coast of India during ICARB — Signatures of transport onto Bay of Bengal
- 65 Downloads
Realizing the importance of aerosol physical properties at the adjoining continental and coastal locations in the airmass pathways onto the oceanic region, extensive measurements of aerosol physical properties were made at Visakhapatnam (17.7°N, 83.3°E), an eastern coastal location in peninsular India during the ICARB period. The temporal variations of aerosol optical depth, near surface aerosol mass size distributions and BC mass concentrations show significantly higher aerosol optical depth and near surface mass concentrations during the first and last weeks of April 2007. The mean BC mass fraction in the fine mode aerosol was around 11%. The aerosol back scatter profiles derived from Micro Pulse Lidar indicate a clear airmass subsidence on the days with higher aerosol optical depths and near surface mass fraction. A comparison of the temporal variation of the aerosol properties at Visakhapatnam with the MODIS derived aerosol optical depth along the cruise locations indicates a resemblance in the temporal variation suggesting that the aerosol transport from the eastern coastal regions of peninsular India could significantly affect the aerosol optical properties at the near coastal oceanic regions and that the affect significantly reduced at the farther regions.
KeywordsAerosols atmospheric sciences experiments data analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Krishnamurti T N, Jha B, Prospero J, Jayaraman A and Ramanathan V 1998 Aerosol and pollutant transport and their impact on radiative forcing over the tropical Indian Ocean during the January-February 1996 pre-INDOEX cruise; Tellus 50B 521–542.Google Scholar
- Satheesh S K and Krishna Moorthy K 1997 Aerosol characteristics over coastal regions of the Arabian Sea; Tellus 49B 417–428.Google Scholar
- Vinoj V, Babu S S, Satheesh S K, Moorthy K K and Kaufman Y J 2004 Radiative forcing by aerosols over the Bay of Bengal region derived from shipborne, island-based, and satellite (Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) observations; J. Geophys. Res. 109 D05203, doi:10.1029/2003JD004329.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Volgin V M, Yershov O A, Smirnov A V and Shifrin K 1988 Optical depth of aerosol in typical sea areas; Izv. Acad. Sci. USSR Atmos. Oceanic Phys., Engl. Transl., 24 772–777.Google Scholar
- Yershov O A, Smirnov A V and Shifrin K S 1990 Spectral transperancy and solar halo in the atmosphere above the ocean; Izv. Acad. Sci. USSR Atmos. Oceanic Phys., Engl. Transl., 26 287–292.Google Scholar