Nickel-zinc hydroxy salts with varying amounts of octahedral Zn2+: trends in stability and selectivity in anion exchange reaction
- 70 Downloads
Nickel-zinc hydroxy acetates with varying amounts of octahedral zinc, Ni(3-x)Zn(2+x)(OH)8(OAc)2·mH2O, with x varying from 0 to 2, have been synthesized. The crystallographic ‘a’ parameter increases linearly with octahedral zinc content in the series. While the thermal stability is almost the same for the entire series of compounds, the stability of the compound in the alkaline medium increases with a decrease in octahedral zinc content. The selectivity for chloride ion from a mixture of chloride and bromide ions increases linearly with an increase in octahedral zinc content.
KeywordsAnionic clay hydroxy salt anion exchange selectivity
This work was funded by SERB, DST, India (Grant: EMR/2015/001982).
- 8.Zou N and Plank J 2012 Intercalation of sulfanilic acid-phenol-formaldehyde polycondensate into hydrocalumite type layered double hydroxide Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 638 2292Google Scholar
- 9.Kameda T, Nakamura M and Yoshioka T 2012 Removal of antimonate ions from an aqueous solution by anion exchange with magnesium–aluminum layered double hydroxide and the formation of a brand holzite-like structure J. Environ. Sci. Health. A Tox. Hazard. Subst. Environ. Eng. 47 1146CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ulibarri M A and Rives V 1999 Layered double hydroxides (LDH) intercalated with metal coordination compounds and oxometallates Coord. Chem. Rev. 181 61Google Scholar
- 15.Rives V 2002 Characterisation of layered double hydroxides and their decomposition products Mater. Chem. Phys. 75 19Google Scholar
- 17.Stahlin W and Ostwald H R 1970 The crystal structure of zinc hydroxide nitrate, Zn5(OH)8(NO3)2.2H2O Acta Crystallogr. B 26 860Google Scholar
- 18.Meyn M, Beneke K and Lagaly G 1990 Anion-exchange reactions of layered double hydroxides Inorg. Chem. 29 5201Google Scholar