Cobalt nitride nanoflakes supported on Ni foam as a high-performance bifunctional catalyst for hydrogen production via urea electrolysis
- 159 Downloads
Substituting low theoretical potential of the urea oxidation reaction (UOR) for the high theoretical potential of water splitting at the anode (oxygen evolution reaction) is meaningful for hydrogen energy storage and conversion. In this work, a bifunctional catalyst, cobalt nitride nanoflakes supported on Ni foam (CoN NF/NF), was synthesized for both UOR and hydrogen evolution reaction (HER). A two-electrode electrolyzer (CoN NF/NF||CoN NF/NF) was constructed. To drive 100 mA/cm2, the voltage of CoN NF/NF||CoN NF/NF only 1.698 V is required, which is much lower than that of Pt/C||IrO2 (1.860 V) and the current density can be maintained for 30 h.
KeywordsUOR bifunctional catalyst HER
This work was funded by the Environmental Catalysis Innovative Research Team of Zhengzhou Normal University (No. 702010).
- 4.Tilak B V, Ramamurthy A C and Conway B E 1986 High performance electrode materials for the hydrogen evolution reaction from alkaline media Chem. Sci. 97 359Google Scholar
- 5.Manoharan R 1997 Electrochemical hydrogen evolution on solid oxides RuO2, Ru0.7Rh0.3O2, and IrO2, from acidic water Chem. Sci. 109 1Google Scholar
- 10.Xu W, Zhang H, Li G and Wu Z 2014 Nickel-cobalt bimetallic anode catalysts for direct urea fuel cell Sci. Rep. 4 58Google Scholar
- 16.Barakat N A M, Alajami M, Alhaj Y, Obaid M and Al-Meer S 2017 Enhanced onset potential NiMn-decorated activated carbon as effective and applicable anode in urea fuel cells Catal. Commun. 97 1304Google Scholar
- 17.Ding R, Qi L, Jia M and Wang H 2014 Facile synthesis of mesoporous spinel NiCo2O4 nanostructures as highly efficient electrocatalysts for urea electro-oxidation Nanoscale 6 1369Google Scholar
- 19.Ji R Y, Chan D S, Jow J J and Wu M S 2013 Formation of open-ended nickel hydroxide nanotubes on three-dimensional nickel framework for enhanced urea electrolysis Electrochem. Commun. 29 21Google Scholar
- 31.Dong S, Chen X, Zhang K, Gu L, Zhang L, Zhou X, Li L, Liu Z, Han P, Xu H, Yao J, Zhang C, Zhang X, Shang C, Cui G and Chen L 2011 Molybdenum nitride based hybrid cathode for rechargeable lithium–O2 batteries Chem. Commun. 47 11291Google Scholar
- 40.Lu X and Zhao C 2015 Electrodeposition of hierarchically structured three-dimensional nickel–iron electrodes for efficient oxygen evolution at high current densities Nat. Commun. 6 6616Google Scholar