Studies on ethylbenzene dehydrogenation with CO2 as soft oxidant over Co3O4/COK-12 catalysts
- 230 Downloads
Oxidative dehydrogenation of ethylbenzene to styrene has been studied over Co3O4 supported on mesoporous silica (COK-12) with CO2 as soft oxidant in a fixed bed reactor at atmospheric pressure in the temperature range of 723 to 923K. While COK-12 has been prepared by self-assembly method using long chain ionic surfactant i.e., P123 as template, cobalt oxide supported on COK-12 catalysts with variable Co content have been synthesised by simple wet impregnation technique. All the catalysts were characterized by N2 adsorption - desorption, XRD, FT-IR, TPR, UV-Vis and XPS techniques. XRD and pore size distribution studies indicate the intactness of mesoporous structure of SiO2 even after incorporation of Co3O4. Presence of Co3O4 crystallites were observed beyond 5 wt% Co loading. High ethylbenzene conversion and stable styrene yields have been observed over 3% Co3O4/COK-12 catalyst due to the presence of large number of active Co3O4 catalytic sites. Enhancement in the activity has been observed with CO2 as soft oxidant than with N2 as diluent. This is because of the fact that the liberated H2 reacts with CO2 in the form of reverse water gas shift reaction.
KeywordsCo3O4/COK-12 ethylbenzene dehydrogenation CO2 soft oxidant styrene
The authors thank Department of Science & Technology (DST), New Delhi, India for sanctioning a project (DST/IS-STAC/CO2-SR-136/12(C))under CO2 sequestration scheme. PR and AN acknowledge Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, India for the award of CSIR fellowship.
- 1.Brydson J A 1999 In Plastic Materials 7th ed. Published by (Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann)Google Scholar
- 3.Li C, Miao C, Nie Y, Yue Y, Gu S, Yang W, Hua W, Gao Z and Chin 2010 J. Catal. 31 993Google Scholar
- 43.Wei D, Yao N and Haller G L 1999 Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 121 239Google Scholar
- 44.Oliveira A C, Essayem N, Tuel A, Clacens J M and Taarit Y B 2008 Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 174 1239Google Scholar
- 49.Gregg S J and Sing K S W 1982 In Adsorption Surface Area and Porosity (London: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- 60.Ramudu P, Anand N V, Ramesh babu G, Mural Dhar G, Sai Prasad P S, David Raju B and RamaRao K S 2014 Ind. J. Chem., Sec. A 53A 493Google Scholar