A new bioactive ursane-type triterpenoid from Croton bonplandianum Bail
- 197 Downloads
A new triterpenoid 3α-hydroxy-urs-12,15-dien (1) of ursane skeleton along with three others, viz. oleanolic acid (2) and ursolic acid (3) and β-sitosterol (4) were isolated from the root of Croton bonplandianum Bail. Their chemical structures were established on the basis of spectroscopic analysis (IR, 1D NMR, 2D NMR, Mass, etc.) and by chemical means. A probable biosynthetic pathway of compound 1 was also proposed. Preliminary investigation with the new compound showed potent activity against a series of fungal pathogens.
KeywordsCroton bonplandianum 3α-hydroxy-urs-12,15-dien antifungal
Financial support from the University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi, India is acknowledged.
- 1.Kaul V 1967 J Indian Bot. Soc. 46 154Google Scholar
- 2.Bhakat R K and Sen U K 2008 Tribes Tribals 2 55Google Scholar
- 3.Chaudhuri A B 2007 Endangered medicinal plants (Delhi: Daya Publishing House)Google Scholar
- 6.Jeeshna M V, Mallikadevi T and Paulsamy S 2010 J. Biopesticides 3(1 Special Issue) 192Google Scholar
- 9.Islam M S, Rahman M M, Rahman M A, Qayum M A and Alam M F 2010 J. Agric. Technol. 6 79Google Scholar
- 18.Rees H H, Mercer E I and Goodwin T W 1966 Biochem. J. 99 726Google Scholar
- 19.Ghosh P, Mandal A and Chakraborty M 2010 J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 2 714Google Scholar