Radio pulsar sub-populations (I): The curious case of nulling pulsars
- 8 Downloads
About \(\sim \)200 radio pulsars have been observed to exhibit nulling episodes – short and long. We find that the nulling fraction of a pulsar does not have any obvious correlation with any of the intrinsic pulsar parameters. It also appears that the phenomenon of nulling may be preferentially experienced by pulsars with emission coming predominantly from the polar cap region, and also having extremely curved magnetic fields.
KeywordsRadio pulsar nulling death-line
Most of this work had been carried out when SK was supported by a Grant (SR/WOS-A/PM-1038/2014) from DST, Government of India and UD was supported through the ‘Indian Academies’ Summer Research Fellowship Programme (2017)’. Work done by Devansh Agarwal (also as a part of another summer project) has been useful in sorting out certain preliminary issues. SK would also like to thank Avinash Deshpande, Yashwant Gupta, Vishal Gajjar and Bhal Chandra Joshi for helpful discussions. We also thank the anonymous referee for helping to improve the clarity of the manuscript significantly.
- Crawford F., Lorimer D., Ridley J., Madden J. 2013, in American Astronomical Society Meeting Abstracts, Vol. 221, American Astronomical Society Meeting Abstracts #221, p. 412.04Google Scholar
- Gajjar V. 2017, arXiv:1706.05407
- Konar S. 2013, in Astronomical Society of India Conference Series, Vol. 8, Das S., Nandi A., Chattopadhyay I., eds, Astronomical Society of India Conference Series, p. 89Google Scholar
- Konar S. 2019, in prepGoogle Scholar
- Konar S., Roy J., Bhattacharyaa B., 2019, in prepGoogle Scholar
- Manchester R. N., Hobbs G. B., Teoh A., Hobbs M. 2005, VizieR Online Data Catalog, 7245, 0Google Scholar
- Manchester R. N., Taylor J. H. 1977, Pulsars. W. H. Freeman, San Francisco, San Francisco, p. 36Google Scholar
- Rajwade K., Gupta Y., Kumar U., Arjunwadkar M. 2014, in Astronomical Society of India Conference Series, Vol. 13, Astronomical Society of India Conference Series, p. 73Google Scholar
- Surnis M. P., Joshi B. C., McLaughlin M. A., Gajjar V. 2013, in IAU Symposium, Vol. 291, IAU Symposium, p. 508Google Scholar
- von Mises R. 1980, Mathematical Theory of Probability and Statistics. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar