Altered Expression of miR-202 in Cerebellum of Multiple-System Atrophy
- 570 Downloads
Cerebellar degeneration is a devastating manifestation of cerebellar-type multiple-system atrophy (MSA), a rapidly progressive neurodegenerative disease, and the exact pathogenesis is unknown. Here, we examined the expression of micro-RNAs (miRNAs), which are short noncoding RNAs, in the cerebellum of MSA and the key target genes. miRNA microarray found 11 miRNAs with significantly different expression in MSA cerebellum compared to cerebellum from age-, sex-, and postmortem interval-matched controls. miR-202 was the most upregulated in the MSA samples. In silico analysis, followed by target gene luciferase assay, in vitro transfection, and Western blotting in human samples showed that miR-202 downregulates Oct1 (Pou2f1), a transcription factor expressed in cerebellar Purkinje cells. Transfection of Neuro-2a cells with miR-202 enhanced oxidative stress-induced cell death, and an antagomir to miR-202 inhibited this effect of miR-202. This study provides novel insight into the role of miRNA in cerebellar degeneration and suggests that miR-202 is a key miRNA mediating the pathogenesis of MSA.
KeywordsCerebellar degeneration microRNA Multiple-system atrophy Oct1
This study was supported by a grant of the Korean Health Technology R&D Project (A121660), Ministry of Health & Welfare, Republic of Korea.
Conflict of Interests
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 8.Zhang J, Zhang J, Zhou Y, Wu YJ, Ma L, Wang RJ, Huang SQ, Gao RR, Liu LH, Shao ZH, Shi HJ, Cheng LM, Yu L (2013) Novel cerebellum-enriched miR-592 may play a role in neural progenitor cell differentiation and neuronal maturation through regulating Lrrc4c and Nfasc in rat. Curr Mol Med 13:1432–1445PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Persengiev S, Kondova I, Otting N, Koeppen AH, Bontrop RE (2011) Genome-wide analysis of miRNA expression reveals a potential role for miR-144 in brain aging and spinocerebellar ataxia pathogenesis. Neurobiol Aging 32(2316):e2317–2327Google Scholar
- 25.Schrauder MG, Strick R, Schulz-Wendtland R, Strissel PL, Kahmann L, Loehberg CR, Lux MP, Jud SM, Hartmann A, Hein A, Bayer CM, Bani MR, Richter S, Adamietz BR, Wenkel E, Rauh C, Beckmann MW, Fasching PA (2012) Circulating micro-RNAs as potential blood-based markers for early stage breast cancer detection. PLoS ONE 7:e29770PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Wainwright EN, Jorgensen JS, Kim Y, Truong V, Bagheri-Fam S, Davidson T, Svingen T, Fernandez-Valverde SL, McClelland KS, Taft RJ, Harley VR, Koopman P, Wilhelm D (2013) SOX9 regulates microRNA miR-202-5p/3p expression during mouse testis differentiation. Biol Reprod 89:34PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Ozawa T, Paviour D, Quinn NP, Josephs KA, Sangha H, Kilford L, Healy DG, Wood NW, Lees AJ, Holton JL, Revesz T (2004) The spectrum of pathological involvement of the striatonigral and olivopontocerebellar systems in multiple system atrophy: clinicopathological correlations. Brain 127:2657–71PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar