Role of sonication time on thermal behaviour and dynamic mechanical analysis of NiZn ferrite incorporated PLA/LNR nanocomposite
- 33 Downloads
The investigation on thermal properties of polylactic acid/liquid natural rubber (PLA/LNR) blend embedded with nickel zinc (NiZn) ferrite nanoparticles at various loading (1–5 wt%) and treated with different ultrasonication time (1–2 h) is the main core of this study. The novel NiZn nanocomposite based on the matrix of PLA:LNR with a ratio of 90:10 was fabricated via melt blending technique with the aids of ultrasonication. The effects of nanofiller loading and ultrasonic treatment on nanocomposite were examined by scanning electron microscopy, differential scanning calorimetry and dynamic mechanical analyser. The results revealed that the thermal properties of PLA/LNR matrix have improved with incorporation of nanoparticles in which improvement was observed until an optimum level at 4 wt% NiZn ferrite within 1 h of ultrasonic treatment. The optimum ultrasonication for 1 h is believed to be sufficient to promote a good dispersion of NiZn ferrite nanoparticles within the PLA/LNR and in order to enhance the thermal stability, which makes it potentially to be used in electronic applications.
KeywordsPolymer-matrix composites (PMCs) nanoparticles melt blending thermal properties ultrasonics
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided by UKM under grant FRGS/1/2014/SG06/UKM/01/2, GUP-2018-107, FRGS/1/2018/STG07/UKM/01/2, GGPM-2018-061 and the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia MyPHD Scholarship Programme for the donation of materials and financial support. We also appreciate the cooperation given by the staff of the Electron Microscopy Unit, UKM during the SEM-utilization experiments.
- 1.Tarawneh M A, Ahmad S H J, Rasid R, Yahya S Y, Shamsul B A R, Ehnoum S et al 2011 Sains Malays. 40 725Google Scholar
- 2.Anuar H and Ahmad Z 2011 Malays. Polym. J. 6 51Google Scholar
- 3.Uddin M F and Sun C-T 2010 in I M Daniel, E E Gdoutos and Y D S Rajapakse (eds) Major accomplishments in composite materials and sandwich structures (Dordrecht: Springer) p 693Google Scholar
- 8.Tarawneh M A, Ahmad S H J, Zarina K A K, Hassan I N, Jiun Y L, Flaifel M H et al 2013 Sains Malays. 42 503Google Scholar
- 10.Chen R S, Shahdan D and Ahmad S 2017 Malays. J. Anal. Sci. 21 1417Google Scholar
- 14.Chen R S, Mohd Amran N A and Ahmad S 2018 J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 113 1Google Scholar
- 27.Chen R S, Ahmad S and Gan S 2016 BioResources 11 8470Google Scholar
- 28.Yu L J, Ahmad S, Ing K, Sivanesan A and Moayad H F 2012 Sains Malays. 41 453Google Scholar