Preparation and characterization of a novel bone graft composite containing bone ash and egg shell powder
- 261 Downloads
Egg shells which were hitherto discarded as wastes were collected, purified and powdered into a particle size in the range of 5–50 μm. A composite bone graft material in cylindrical form was prepared using egg shell powder (ESP), bone ash (BA) and gelatin. These bone grafts were characterized for their FT–IR, TGA, XRD, SEM and mechanical properties. The mechanical studies indicate that the composite having a stoichiometric ratio of BA (3 g) and ESP (7 g) has shown better mechanical properties. X-ray diffraction (XRD) data indicated the crystallographic nature of BA is akin to hydroxyapatite (HA) and both BA and ESP did not lose their crystalline nature when bone grafts were prepared. This revealed that ESP may be used as a component in bone graft utilizing the solid waste from the poultry industry.
Keywords.Egg shell powder; bone ash; bone graft; gelatin; poultry industry; solid waste.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmed Samina and Ahsan Mainul 2008 Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 43 501Google Scholar
- Balliga M, Davies P and Dupoirieux L 1998 Rev. Stomatol. chir Maxillofac. 99 86Google Scholar
- Dasgupta P, Singh A, Adak S and Purohit K M 2004 International symposium of research students on materials science and engineering, Chennai, 1 Google Scholar
- Nakano T, Ikawa N I and Ozimek L 2003 Poult. Sci. 82 510Google Scholar
- Park Jin-Woo, Bae Sang-Ryul, Suh Jo-Young, Lee Dong-Hee, Kim Sang-Hyun, Kim Hyungiun and Lee Chong-Soo 2007 J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 87 203Google Scholar
- Sasikumar S and Vijayaraghavan R 2006 Trends Biomater. Artif. Organs 19 70Google Scholar
- Schaafsma A, Pakan I, Hofstede G J H, Muskiet F A J, Van Der Veer E and De Vries P J F 2000 Poultry Sci. 79 1833Google Scholar
- Wafaa I A F, Osiris W G, Shamael S M and Khalil M R 1994 Biomaterials 20 475Google Scholar