Pressure induced graft-co-polymerization of acrylonitrile onto Saccharum cilliare fibre and evaluation of some properties of grafted fibre
- 86 Downloads
In the present work, graft co-polymerization of acrylonitrile (AN) onto Saccharum cilliare fibre has been carried out in the presence of potassium persulphate and ferrous ammonium sulphate (FAS-KPS) as redox initiator. The reactions were carried out under pressure in an autoclave. Various reaction parameters such as pressure, time, pH, concentrations of initiator and monomer were optimized to get maximum graft yield (35·59%). Grafted and ungrafted Saccharum cilliare fibres were then subjected to evaluation of some of their properties like swelling behaviour in different solvents, moisture absorbance under different humidity levels, water uptake and resistance towards chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide. The characterization of the graft copolymers were carried out by FTIR spectrophotometer, X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopic (SEM) studies.
KeywordsSaccharum cilliare fibre acrylonitrile graft copolymer redox initiator chemical resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Habish J A and Mehta P C 1967 Textile Res. J. 37 9115Google Scholar
- Habish J A and Mehta P C 1968 Appl. Polym. Sci. 121 625Google Scholar
- Hurdue N and Scheider I A 1970 Cell Chem. Technol. 4 195Google Scholar
- Kaith B S, Singha A S and Sharma S K 2003 J. Polym. Mater. 20 195Google Scholar
- Kaizerman S, Mino G and Meinheld C F 1962 Textile Res. J. 32 136Google Scholar
- Philips R B, Ouere J, Quiroy Z and Stannet V T 1972 Tappi 558 58Google Scholar
- Schwob E, Stannett V T, Rakowiz W H and Margane J K 1962 Tappi 45 390Google Scholar
- Segal L C, Martin A E and Conrad C M 1959 Textile Res. J. 29 786Google Scholar
- Singha A S, Kaith B S and Sarwade B D 2002 Hung. J. Industr. Chem. VESZPREM 30 289Google Scholar
- Singha A S, Kaith B S, Ashish Chauhan and Misra B N 2006 J. Polym. Mater. 23 3456Google Scholar