Conductivity studies of lithium zinc silicate glasses with varying lithium contents
- 73 Downloads
The electrical conductivity of lithium zinc silicate (LZS) glasses with composition, (SiO2)0.527 (Na2O)0.054(B2O3)0.05(P2O5)0.029(ZnO)0.34−x (Li2O) x (x = 0.05, 0.08, 0.11, 0.18, 0.21, 0.24 and 0.27), was studied as a function of frequency in the range 100 Hz–15 MHz, over a temperature range from 546–637 K. The a.c. conductivity is found to obey Jonscher’s relation. The d.c. conductivity (σ d.c.) and the hopping frequency (ω h), inferred from the a.c. conductivity data, exhibit Arrhenius-type behaviour with temperature. The electrical modulus spectra show a single peak, indicating a single electrical relaxation time, τ, which also exhibits Arrhenius-type behaviour. Values of activation energy derived from σ d.c., ω h and τ are almost equal within the experimental error. It is seen that σ d.c. and ω h increase systematically with Li2O content up to 21 mol% and then decrease for higher Li2O content, indicating a mixed alkali effect caused by mobile Li+ and Na+ ions. The scaling behaviour of the modulus suggests that the relaxation process is independent of temperature but depends upon Li+ concentration.
KeywordsIonic conductivity glasses electrical modulus dielectric relaxation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balaya P, Shrikhande V K, Kothiyal G P and Goyal P S 2004 Curr. Sci. 86 553Google Scholar
- Ghosh S and Ghosh A 2002 J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 14 2531Google Scholar
- Ingram M D 1987 Phys. Chem. Glasses 28 215Google Scholar
- Kremer F and Rozanski S A 2003 Broadband dielectric spectroscopy (eds) F Kremer and A Schonhals (Berlin: Springer Verlag) Ch. 12Google Scholar
- Macedo P B, Moynihan C T and Bose R 1972 Phys. Chem. Glasses 13 171Google Scholar
- McMillan P W 1979 Glass ceramics (London: Academic Press) 2nd ednGoogle Scholar
- Ngai K L, Mundy J N, Jain H, Kannert O and Balzer-Jollenbeck G 1989 Phys. Rev. B39 6169Google Scholar
- Pan A and Ghosh A 1999 Phys. Rev. B60 3224Google Scholar
- Shrikhande V K, Mirza T, Sawant B B, Sinha A K and Kothiyal G P 1998 Bull. Mater. Sci. 21 493Google Scholar