High expression of RAB27A and TP53 in pancreatic cancer predicts poor survival
- 650 Downloads
RAB27A is a member of Rab family GTPases involved in cellular vesicle trafficking, and TP53 has recently been implicated in regulating the exosome secretion pathway. Because exosome secretion plays an important role in modulating tumor microenvironment and invasive growth, we hypothesized that RAB27A and TP53 expression might be associated with aggressive behavior in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC), one of the most deadly human malignancies. We determined protein expression of RAB27A and TP53 in 265 pancreatic tissues (186 carcinomas and 79 normal or benign tissues) by immunohistochemistry analysis on tissue microarray and found their expression was correlated with patients’ clinical parameters and overall survival. We found that RAB27A and TP53 protein expression was significantly higher in cancerous tissues compared to normal and benign tissues. High RAB27A protein expression (RAB27A+) was significantly associated with tumor stage and vascular invasion. No correlation between RAB27A and TP53 expression was observed. Patients with high RAB27A expression and high TP53 expression had a poor overall survival. Our data indicate that RAB27A expression is an independent prognostic marker for PDAC, and RAB27A-regulated exosome secretion pathway may represent a novel therapeutic target in pancreatic cancer .
KeywordsRAB27A TP53 Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma Prognosis
This study was supported by the postdoctoral study (2013-40-5) and translational medicine research (TDFzh2014011) from the Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Jiangsu, China.
Conflict of interest
- 5.Peinado H, Aleckovic M, Lavotshkin S, Matei I, Costa-Silva B, Moreno-Bueno G, Hergueta-Redondo M, Williams C, Garcia-Santos G, Ghajar C, Nitadori-Hoshino A, Hoffman C, Badal K, Garcia BA, Callahan MK, Yuan J, Martins VR, Skog J, Kaplan RN, Brady MS, Wolchok JD, Chapman PB, Kang Y, Bromberg J, Lyden D. Melanoma exosomes educate bone marrow progenitor cells toward a pro-metastatic phenotype through met. Nat Med. 2012;18:883–91.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Li W, Hu Y, Jiang T, Han Y, Han G, Chen J, Li X. Rab27a regulates exosome secretion from lung adenocarcinoma cells a549: involvement of epi64. APMIS 2014;122:1080–87.Google Scholar
- 13.Supiot S, Gouraud W, Campion L, Jezequel P, Buecher B, Charrier J, Heymann MF, Mahe MA, Rio E, Cherel M. Early dynamic transcriptomic changes during preoperative radiotherapy in patients with rectal cancer: a feasibility study. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:3249–54.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Webber JP, Spary LK, Sanders AJ, Chowdhury R, Jiang WG, Steadman R, Wymant J, Jones AT, Kynaston H, Mason MD, Tabi Z, Clayton A. Differentiation of tumour-promoting stromal myofibroblasts by cancer exosomes. Oncogene 2014. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.560.
- 20.Dutta S, Warshall C, Bandyopadhyay C, Dutta D, Chandran B. Interactions between exosomes from breast cancer cells and primary mammary epithelial cells leads to generation of reactive oxygen species which induce DNA damage response, stabilization of p53 and autophagy in epithelial cells. PLoS One. 2014;9:e97580.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Cowley MJ, Chang DK, Pajic M, Johns AL, Waddell N, Grimmond SM, Biankin AV. Understanding pancreatic cancer genomes. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2013. doi: 10.1007/s00534-013-0610-6.
- 29.Sun R, Wang X, Zhu H, Mei H, Wang W, Zhang S, Huang J. Prognostic value of lamp3 and tp53 overexpression in benign and malignant gastrointestinal tissues. Oncotarget 2014.Google Scholar
- 32.Arriaga JM, Bravo IA, Bruno L, Morales Bayo S, Hannois A, Sanchez Loria F, Pairola F, Huertas E, Roberti MP, Rocca YS, Aris M, Barrio MM, Baffa Trasci S, Levy EM, Mordoh J, Bianchini M. Combined metallothioneins and p53 proteins expression as a prognostic marker in patients with dukes stage b and c colorectal cancer. Hum Pathol. 2012;43:1695–703.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Mojarad S, Venturini B, Fulgenzi P, Papaleo R, Brisigotti M, Monti F, Canuti D, Ravaioli A, Woo L, Dlay S, Sherbet GV. Prediction of nodal metastasis and prognosis of breast cancer by ann-based assessment of tumour size and p53, ki-67 and steroid receptor expression. Anticancer Res. 2013;33:3925–33.PubMedGoogle Scholar