Association between Apolipoprotein E Gene Polymorphism and Alzheimer's Disease in an Iranian Population: A Meta-Analysis
The development of Alzheimer's disease (AD) has been strongly linked to the apolipoprotein E (APOE) polymorphism. A number studies have reported that the APOE ε4 allele is a genetic risk factor for developing AD, whereas the APOE ε2 and APOE ε3 alleles are considered to be neutral or even protective; however, there are conflicting data about these relationships in certain ethnic populations. Several meta-analyses have been performed to reduce the heterogeneity of results from different studies and estimate the real association in specific ethnicities. The aim of this study was to investigate the association between the APOE polymorphism and AD in an Iranian population. Our results showed a higher incidence of AD among individuals carrying the APOE ε4 allele (OR = 4.81, 95% CI: 3.28–7.05), more notably in those with the APOE ε4/e4 genotype (OR = 7.47, 95% CI: 2.35–23.73), while carrying the APOE ε3 allele was demonstrated to have a protective effect (OR = 0.40, 95% CI: 0.30–0.54). The association between the APOE ε2 allele and AD was not statically significant. However, further studies focusing on other parameters such as age, sex and environmental conditions are needed to reveal the true association between the APOE polymorphism and AD.
KeywordsApolipoprotein E Polymorphism Alzheimer’s disease Meta-analysis
- Basak JM, Verghese PB, Yoon H, Kim J, Holtzman DM (2012) Low-density lipoprotein receptor represents an apolipoprotein E-independent pathway of Aβ uptake and degradation by astrocytes. J Biol Chem M111:288746Google Scholar
- Bayrami M, Hashemi T, Bonyadi M, Ayromlou H, Nazari M, Tabatabaei S (2011) Apolipoprotein E gene polymorphism in Alzheimer patients in northwest of Iran. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 5:1729–1733Google Scholar
- Khorshid HK, Gozalpour E, Kamali K, Ohadi M, Karimloo M, Shahhosseiny M (2011) The association between sporadic Alzheimer’s disease and the human ABCA1 and APOE gene polymorphisms in Iranian population. Iran Red Crescent Med J 13:256Google Scholar
- Montufar S et al. (2017) Association between the APOE ε4 allele and late-onset Alzheimer’s disease in an Ecuadorian mestizo population. Int J Alzheimer’s Dis 2017Google Scholar
- Wells G, Shea B, O’Connell D, Peterson J, Welch V et al (2011) The Newcastle-Ottawa scale (NOS) for assessing the quality if nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. Dept of epidemiology and community medicine. University of Ottawa, OttawaGoogle Scholar