Buyang Huanwu Decoction (BYHWD) Enhances Angiogenic Effect of Mesenchymal Stem Cell by Upregulating VEGF Expression After Focal Cerebral Ischemia
- 930 Downloads
Buyang Huanwu decoction (BYHWD) has been used for centuries to treat paralysis and stroke. Previously, we have demonstrated that BYHWD combined with mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) transplantation attenuates ischemic injury partly by upregulating angiogenesis. However, the mechanisms of this drug for stroke treatment are not completely understood. Here, we aimed to clarify the mechanism of BYHWD on angiogenesis mediated by MSCs. Firstly, we verified microvessels with a size of 50–100 nm produced by either MSCs or MSCs treated by 500 μg/ml BYHWD. These exosomes were purified and found to be able to activate vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in endothelial cells (ECs). Moreover, exosomes from MSCs and MSCs treated by BYHWD induced elevated microRNA (miRNA)-126 expression and reduced miR-221 and miR-222 expression. In MSCs, disruption of dicer, an enzyme responsible for miRNA maturation, by dicer small interfering RNA (siRNA), or RNase pretreatment abolished this ability of the exosomes. Additionally, exosomes from MSCs treated by BYHWD promoted VEGF and Ki-67 expression and augmented vascular density in rat brain after bilateral carotid artery ligation. In conclusion, our study revealed that BYHWD exposure augmented angiogenetic miRNA and VEGF expression in exosomes secreted by MSCs and elevated angiogenesis in rat brain.
KeywordsBuyang Huanwu decoction Mesenchymal stem cell Exosome Cerebral ischemia
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (No. 81072799)
Conflict of Interest
No conflicts were declared.
Junhong Yang and Feng Gao contributed to conception and design and acquisition, analysis, and interpretation of data. Ying Liu has been involved in drafting the manuscript or revising it critically for important intellectual content. Yunke Zhang has given final approval of the version to be published. Di Zhang agreed to be accountable for all aspects of the work.
- Belizon A, Balik E, Feingold DL, Bessler M, Arnell TD, Forde KA, Horst PK, Jain S, Cekic V, Kirman I, Whelan RL (2006) Major abdominal surgery increases plasma levels of vascular endothelial growth factor: open more so than minimally invasive methods. Ann Surg 244:792–798PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen YJ (2009) Effect of Buyang Huanwu decoction on serum vascular endothelial growth factor level of the patients with acute cerebral infarction. J Liaoning Univ Tradit Chin Med 11:113–115Google Scholar
- Hao CZ, Wu F, Shen J, Lu L, Fu DL, Liao WJ, Zheng GQ (2012) Clinical efficacy and safety of Buyang Huanwu decoction for acute ischemic stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 19 randomized controlled trials. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 630124:21Google Scholar
- Jiang C, Liu P, Zhang J, Bao W, Qiu S, Liang Y, Jiang L (2014) Clinical study of effects of Jian Ji Ning, a Chinese herbal medicine compound preparation, in treating patients with myasthenia gravis via the regulation of differential microRNAs expression in serum. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 518942:5Google Scholar
- Lai RC, Tan SS, Teh BJ, Sze SK, Arslan F, de Kleijn DP, Choo A, Lim SK (2012) Proteolytic potential of the MSC exosome proteome: implications for an exosome-mediated delivery of therapeutic proteasome. Int J Proteomics 971907:18Google Scholar
- Lin CY, Chang C, Cheung WM, Lin MH, Chen JJ, Hsu CY, Chen JH, Lin TN (2008) Dynamic changes in vascular permeability, cerebral blood volume, vascular density, and size after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats: evaluation with contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28:1491–1501PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ragusa M, Statello L, Maugeri M, Majorana A, Barbagallo D, Salito L, Sammito M, Santonocito M, Angelica R, Cavallaro A, Scalia M, Caltabiano R, Privitera G, Biondi A, Di Vita M, Cappellani A, Vasquez E, Lanzafame S, Tendi E, Celeste S, Di Pietro C, Basile F, Purrello M (2012) Specific alterations of the microRNA transcriptome and global network structure in colorectal cancer after treatment with MAPK/ERK inhibitors. J Mol Med 90:1421–1438PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Song KH, Kim YH, Kim BY (2014) Sho-saiko-to, a traditional herbal medicine, regulates gene expression and biological function by way of microRNAs in primary mouse hepatocytes. BMC Complement Altern Med 14:1472–6882Google Scholar
- Wang HW, Liou KT, Wang YH, Lu CK, Lin YL, Lee IJ, Huang ST, Tsai YH, Cheng YC, Lin HJ, Shen YC (2011) Deciphering the neuroprotective mechanisms of Bu-yang Huan-wu decoction by an integrative neurofunctional and genomic approach in ischemic stroke mice. J Ethnopharmacol 138:22–33PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang JY, Gao YB, Zhang N, Zou DW, Xu LP, Zhu ZY, Li JY, Zhou SN, Cui FQ, Zeng XJ, Geng JG, Yang JK (2014) Tongxinluo ameliorates renal structure and function by regulating miR-21-induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in diabetic nephropathy. Am J Physiol Ren Physiol 306:26CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wei RL, Teng HJ, Yin B, Xu Y, Du Y, He FP, Chu KT, Luo BY, Zheng GQ (2013) A systematic review and meta-analysis of Buyang Huanwu decoction in animal model of focal cerebral ischemia. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 138484:4Google Scholar
- Zhao HL, Sui Y, Qiao CF, Yip KY, Leung RK, Tsui SK, Lee HM, Wong HK, Zhu X, Siu JJ, He L, Guan J, Liu LZ, Xu HX, Tong PC, Chan JC (2012a) Sustained antidiabetic effects of a berberine-containing Chinese herbal medicine through regulation of hepatic gene expression. Diabetes 61:933–943PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar