Cytoreductive Surgery and HIPEC for Recurrent Fibrolamellar Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Peritoneal Carcinomatosis
- 6 Downloads
Fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma (FHCC) is a rare type of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), accounting 1–9% of primary liver tumors . The diagnosis is based on the elevation of the serum vitamin B12 level [2, 3]. The recurrence rate is high even after curative surgery and the response to systemic chemotherapy is very poor. The purpose of the study is the presentation of a patient with FHCC that underwent CRS+HIPEC after sequential local-regional recurrences in a 10-year period.
A 34-year-old female patient complaining for abdominal discomfort, sensation of gastric fullness, and epigastric tenderness presented with a liver tumor of the left lobe, 11 years ago. The abdominal magnetic resonance (MRI) showed the presence of a large tumor of the left liver lobe. The hematological-biochemical examinations and tumor markers were normal despite an excessive elevation of serum vitamin B12(> 2000 pg/mL; normal range 200–900 pg/mL). The patient underwent...
D. Kyziridis: writer of the surgical details
A. Kalakonas: supervisor
K. Zarambouka: writer of the pathological details
C. Hristakis: supervisor
A. A. Tentes: supervisor of the manuscript
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The ethical committee of the hospital approved the treatment and the patient gave informed consent.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Edmondson HA. Differential diagnosis of tumors and tumor-like lesions of liver in infancy and childhood. AMA J Dis Child. 1956;91:168–86.Google Scholar
- 9.Lafaro KJ, Pawlik TM. Fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma: current clinical perspectives. J Hepatocell Carcinoma. 2015;2:151–7.Google Scholar
- 16.Wojcicki M, Lubikowski J, Post M, Chmurowicz T, Wiechowska-Kozlowska A, Krawczyk M. Aggressive surgical management of recurrent lymph node and pancreatic head metastases of resected fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma: a case report. JOP. 2012;13:529–32.Google Scholar
- 17.Ringe B, Wittekind C, Weimann A, Tusch G, Pichlmayr R. Results of hepatic resection and transplantation for fibrolamellar carcinoma. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1992;175:299–305.Google Scholar
- 21.Braune C1, Fangmann J, Scheumann GF, Klempnauer J. Multiorgan resection in combination with intraoperative, hyperthermic chemotherapy in recurrent fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma. An individual therapeutic concept for a 21-year-old patient. Zentralbl Chir. 2001;126:318–21.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Mehta S, Schwartz L, Spiliotis J, Hsieh M-C, Akaishi EH, Goere D, et al. Is there an oncological interest in the combination of CRS/HIPEC for peritoneal carcinomatosis of HCC? EJSO. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2018.05.021.
- 23.Amblard I, Mercier F, Bartlett DL, Ahrendt SA, Lee KW, Zeh HJ, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC improve survival compared to palliative chemotherapy for biliary carcinoma with peritoneal metastasis: a multi-institutional cohort from PSOGI and BIG RENAPE groups. EJSO. 2018;44:1378–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2018.04.023.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Bijelic L, Sugarbaker PH, Stuart OA. Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy with Melphalan: a summary of clinical and pharmacological data in 34 patients. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012;2012:5.827534.Google Scholar