Applying virtual reality in forensics – a virtual scene walkthrough
A major task of forensic investigations is the documentation and interpretation of evidence to reconstruct a forensically relevant incident. To accomplish this task, a scene is documented not only with photographs but also with 3D documentation technologies. The resulting 3D data are used for 3D visualization and to perform 3D reconstructions. In this article, we present an approach for using forensic 3D data in conjunction with virtual reality to perform scene walkthroughs in the context of witness or suspect interrogations. The aim is to provide a method for scene visits showing the original scene even years after the incident. These scene walkthroughs in VR can be reproduced and allow to see through the eyes of a witness by recording their behavior and actions. These recordings allow subsequent examinations and reconstruction to support the investigation and scene understanding and can be used as evidence in court.
KeywordsVirtual reality 3D reconstruction Scene walkthrough Forensic Investigation
The authors express their gratitude to Emma Louise Kessler, MD for her generous donation to the Zurich Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
No ethical approval was required for this article.
- 1.Schweizerische Strafprozessordnung. Switzerland; 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.Buck U, Naether S, Räss B, Jackowski C, Thali MJ. Accident or homicide - virtual crime scene reconstruction using 3D methods. Forensic Sci Int. 2013;225:75–84.Google Scholar
- 4.Vosselman G, Maas H. Airborne and terrestrial laser scanning. London: Whittles Publishing; 2010.Google Scholar
- 13.Unity Technologies Unity - Game Engine. 2017. https://unity3d.com/de/. Accessed 14 Sep 2017.
- 14.Smith Micro Software Poser Pro 11. 2018. https://my.smithmicro.com/poser-pro-11.html. Accessed 28 May 2018.
- 15.Valve Corporation SteamVR. 2018. https://store.steampowered.com/steamvr. Accessed 26 May 2018.
- 16.HTC Corporation Vive | Discover Virtual Reality. 2017. https://www.vive.com/eu/. Accessed 18 Apr 2017.
- 18.Purpleduck, Skovacs1. Texture size limit. 2010. https://answers.unity.com/questions/35037/texture-size-limit.html. Accessed 28 May 2018.