Diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy for thyroid malignancy: systematic review and meta-analysis
- 488 Downloads
To systematically appraise and summarize the available evidence about the diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy (USFNA) for thyroid malignancy, and to explore the integration of these estimates with the probability of thyroid malignancy before USFNA.
A comprehensive search of multiple databases from each database’s inception to August 2014 was performed. Eligible studies included those that evaluated patients with thyroid nodules who underwent USFNA and subsequent evaluation by histopathology or long-term follow-up.
We identified 32 studies at moderate risk of bias evaluating the USFNA diagnostic characteristics for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy. Results were imprecise and inconsistent across trials. The pooled likelihood ratio (LR) of thyroid malignancy for a benign USFNA result was 0.09 (95 % CI 0.06, 0.14; I 2 = 33 %), whereas the pooled LR for a malignant result was 197 (95 % CI, 68, 569; I 2 = 77 %). In the case of a suspicious for follicular neoplasm result, the pooled LR for malignancy was 0.6 (95 % CI, 0.4, 1.0; I 2 = 84 %) and 8.3 (95 % CI, 3.6, 19.2; I 2 = 89) for a result of suspicious for malignancy.
The available evidence regarding the diagnostic accuracy of USFNA warrants only limited confidence due to risk of bias, imprecision, and inconsistency. However, some USFNA results (benign, malignant) are likely very helpful, by significantly changing the pre-test probability of thyroid cancer.
KeywordsThyroid nodule Thyroid cancer Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy Diagnosis
We would like to thank Choon-Chern (Mike) Lim for the development of the online calculator.
NSO, JPB, SM, and VMM designed the study, served as overall principal investigators, and wrote and reviewed the manuscript. AEY, RRG, MRG, ACG, KB, AAN, PE, JM, RMC helped design the study, wrote, and made a critical review of the manuscript, and assisted in data collection. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interests
The authors have no conflict of interests.
MRG was supported by CTSA Grant Number TL1 TR000137 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Science (NCATS). The contents of this manuscript are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH.
This publication was made possible by CTSA Grant Number UL1 TR000135 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of NIH.
- 6.P. Campanella, F. Ianni, C.A. Rota, S.M. Corsello, A. Pontecorvi, Quantification of cancer risk of each clinical and ultrasonographic suspicious feature of thyroid nodules: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 170(5), R203–211 (2014). doi: 10.1530/EJE-13-0995 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.R. Smith-Bindman, P. Lebda, V.A. Feldstein, D. Sellami, R.B. Goldstein, N. Brasic, C. Jin, J. Kornak, Risk of thyroid cancer based on thyroid ultrasound imaging characteristics: results of a population-based study. JAMA Intern. Med. 173(19), 1788–1796 (2013). doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.9245 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.B.R.M. Haugen, E.K. Alexander, K.C. Bible, G. Doherty, S.J. Mandel, Y.E. Nikiforov, F. Pacini, G. Randolph, A. Sawka, M. Schlumberger, K.G. Schuff, S.I. Sherman, J.A. Sosa, D. Steward, R.M.M. Tuttle, L. Wartofsky, 2015 American Thyroid Association Management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid (2015). doi: 10.1089/thy.2015.0020 PubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.C.C. Wang, L. Friedman, G.C. Kennedy, H. Wang, E. Kebebew, D.L. Steward, M.A. Zeiger, W.H. Westra, Y. Wang, E. Khanafshar, G. Fellegara, J. Rosai, V. Livolsi, R.B. Lanman, A large multicenter correlation study of thyroid nodule cytopathology and histopathology. Thyroid 21(3), 243–251 (2011). doi: 10.1089/thy.2010.0243 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.P. Perros, K. Boelaert, S. Colley, C. Evans, R.M. Evans, G. Gerrard Ba, J. Gilbert, B. Harrison, S.J. Johnson, T.E. Giles, L. Moss, V. Lewington, K. Newbold, J. Taylor, R.V. Thakker, J. Watkinson, G.R. Williams, Guidelines for the management of thyroid cancer. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf) 81(Suppl 1), 1–122 (2014). doi: 10.1111/cen.12515 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.T.S. Furukawa, H. Bucher, T. Agoritsas, G. Guyatt, in Diagnostic Tests, ed. by G.D. Guyatt, M. Meade, D. Cook. User’s Guides to the Medical Literature: A munal for Evidence Based Clinical Practive, vol. 3 (McGraw hill, 2014), p. 345–357Google Scholar
- 18.M.B. Elamin, M.H. Murad, R. Mullan, D. Erickson, K. Harris, S. Nadeem, R. Ennis, P.J. Erwin, V.M. Montori, Accuracy of diagnostic tests for Cushing’s syndrome: a systematic review and metaanalyses. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 93(5), 1553–1562 (2008). doi: 10.1210/jc.2008-0139 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.P.F. Whiting, A.W. Rutjes, M.E. Westwood, S. Mallett, J.J. Deeks, J.B. Reitsma, M.M. Leeflang, J.A. Sterne, P.M. Bossuyt, QUADAS-2: a revised tool for the quality assessment of diagnostic accuracy studies. Ann. Intern. Med. 155(8), 529–536 (2011). doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-155-8-201110180-00009 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Review Manager (RevMan) [Computer program]. in Copenhagen: the Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, (2014)Google Scholar
- 26.M. Bongiovanni, S. Crippa, Z. Baloch, S. Piana, A. Spitale, F. Pagni, L. Mazzucchelli, C. Di Bella, W. Faquin, Comparison of 5-tiered and 6-tiered diagnostic systems for the reporting of thyroid cytopathology: a multi-institutional study. Cancer Cytopathol. 120(2), 117–125 (2012). doi: 10.1002/cncy.20195 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.B. Cochand-Priollet, P.J. Guillausseau, S. Chagnon, C. Hoang, C. Guillausseau-Scholer, P. Chanson, H. Dahan, A. Warnet, P.T. Tran Ba Huy, P. Valleur, The diagnostic value of fine-needle aspiration biopsy under ultrasonography in nonfunctional thyroid nodules: a prospective study comparing cytologic and histologic findings. Am. J. Med. 97(2), 152–157 (1994)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.T. Kawai, E. Nishihara, T. Kudo, H. Ota, S. Morita, K. Kobayashi, M. Ito, S. Kubota, N. Amino, A. Miyauchi, Histopathological diagnoses of “accessory” thyroid nodules diagnosed as benign by fine-needle aspiration cytology and ultrasonography. Thyroid 22(3), 299–303 (2012). doi: 10.1089/thy.2011.0272 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.S.K. Kim, T.S. Hwang, Y.B. Yoo, H.S. Han, D.L. Kim, K.H. Song, S.D. Lim, W.S. Kim, N.S. Paik, Surgical results of thyroid nodules according to a management guideline based on the BRAF(V600E) mutation status. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 96(3), 658–664 (2011). doi: 10.1210/jc.2010-1082 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.P. Mikosch, U. Wartner, E. Kresnik, H.J. Gallowitsch, M. Heinisch, H.P. Dinges, P. Lind, Results of preoperative ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of solitary thyroid nodules as compared with the histology. A retrospective analysis of 538 patients. Nuklearmedizin 40(5), 148–154 (2001)PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.D. Nacamulli, L. Nico, S. Barollo, L. Zambonin, G. Pennelli, M.E. Girelli, E. Casal Ide, M.R. Pelizzo, F. Vianello, I. Negro, S. Watutantrige-Fernando, F. Mantero, M. Rugge, C. Mian, Comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of combined elastosonography and BRAF analysis vs cytology and ultrasonography for thyroid nodule suspected of malignancy. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf) 77(4), 608–614 (2012). doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.2012.04427.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.T. Rago, E. Fiore, M. Scutari, F. Santini, G. Di Coscio, R. Romani, P. Piaggi, C. Ugolini, F. Basolo, P. Miccoli, A. Pinchera, P. Vitti, Male sex, single nodularity, and young age are associated with the risk of finding a papillary thyroid cancer on fine-needle aspiration cytology in a large series of patients with nodular thyroid disease. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 162(4), 763–770 (2010). doi: 10.1530/EJE-09-0895 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.S. Rorive, N. D’Haene, C. Fossion, I. Delpierre, N. Abarguia, F. Avni, C. Decaestecker, I. Salmon, Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules: stratification of malignancy risk using follicular proliferation grading, clinical and ultrasonographic features. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 162(6), 1107–1115 (2010). doi: 10.1530/EJE-09-1103 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43.L.M. Sarkis, O. Norlen, A. Aniss, N. Watson, L.W. Delbridge, S.B. Sidhu, M.S. Sywak, A.J. Gill, The Australian experience with the Bethesda classification system for thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsies. Pathology 46(7), 592–595 (2014). doi: 10.1097/PAT.0000000000000168 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 45.C. Schueller-Weidekamm, G. Schueller, K. Kaserer, C. Scheuba, H. Ringl, M. Weber, C. Czerny, A.M. Herneth, Diagnostic value of sonography, ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology, and diffusion-weighted MRI in the characterization of cold thyroid nodules. Eur. J. Radiol. 73(3), 538–544 (2010). doi: 10.1016/j.ejrad.2008.12.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.N. Sebastian-Ochoa, J.C. Fernandez-Garcia, I. Mancha Doblas, A. Sebastian-Ochoa, D. Fernandez Garcia, M.V. Ortega Jimenez, E. Gallego Dominguez, F. Tinahones Madueno, [Clinical experience in a high-resolution thyroid nodule clinic]. Endocrinol. Nutr. 58(8), 409–415 (2011). doi: 10.1016/j.endonu.2011.06.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 48.F. Tunca, Y. Giles, A. Salmaslioglu, A. Poyanli, D. Yilmazbayhan, T. Terzioglu, S. Tezelman, The preoperative exclusion of thyroid carcinoma in multinodular goiter: Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging versus ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Surgery 142(6), 992–1002 (2007). doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2007.09.027 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.L.I. Wharry, K.L. McCoy, M.T. Stang, M.J. Armstrong, S.O. LeBeau, M.E. Tublin, B. Sholosh, A. Silbermann, N.P. Ohori, Y.E. Nikiforov, S.P. Hodak, S.E. Carty, L. Yip, Thyroid nodules > 4 cm: can ultrasound and cytology reliably exclude cancer? World J. Surg. 38(3), 614–621 (2014)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 52.J.K. Young, C.G. Lumapas, R. Mirasol, Sonographically guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules: Correlation between cytologic and histopathologic findings. Phillippine J. Intern. Med. 49(1), 8–14 (2011)Google Scholar
- 53.Y.H. Lee, B.H. Kim, S.I. Suh, H.S. Seo, B.K. Seo, K.R. Cho, J.H. Lee, N.H. Kim, J.A. Seo, Comparison of cytological results obtained by repeated US-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodules: focus on the rate of malignancy and diagnostic concordance. Diagn. Cytopathol. 37(7), 492–497 (2009). doi: 10.1002/dc.21043 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 54.F.F. Maia, P.S. Matos, E.J. Pavin, D.E. Zantut-Wittmann, Thyroid imaging reporting and data system score combined with Bethesda system for malignancy risk stratification in thyroid nodules with indeterminate results on cytology. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf) 82(3), 439–444 (2015). doi: 10.1111/cen.12525 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 55.I. Tabain, N. Matesa, Z. Kusic, Accuracy of ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration in patients with nodular thyroid disease. Acta. Clinica. Croatica. 43(1), 21–26 (2004)Google Scholar
- 56.A.A. Smadi, K. Ajarmeh, F. Wreikat, Fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules has high sensitivity and specificity. Rawal. Med. J. 33(2), 221–224 (2008)Google Scholar
- 57.E.S. Cibas, Z.W. Baloch, G. Fellegara, V.A. LiVolsi, S.S. Raab, J. Rosai, J. Diggans, L. Friedman, G.C. Kennedy, R.T. Kloos, R.B. Lanman, S.J. Mandel, N. Sindy, D.L. Steward, M.A. Zeiger, B.R. Haugen, E.K. Alexander, A prospective assessment defining the limitations of thyroid nodule pathologic evaluation. Ann. Intern. Med. 159(5), 325–332 (2013). doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-159-5-201309030-00006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 60.D.R. Gordon Guyatt, M.O. Meade, D.J. Cook (ed.,) Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice, 3rd edn. (2015)Google Scholar
- 61.National Academies of Sciences, in E.A.M.: Improving diagnosis in health care, (The national academies press, Washington, DC, 2015)Google Scholar